Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 21:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/175/130
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Upset Tummy

It's the end of 1 week on induction for me and I've been doing great. I had one day that I felt very tired but it passed quickly. Today, I got thro breakfast and lunch just fine but by dinner I was feeling really yucky and sick to my stomach. The thought of food made me.....Well, you get the point. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen?
My thought was maybe too many eggs...They are heavy on the stomach.
Would love to hear from others....
Nan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 22:55
Registered Member

Stats: 172/157/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default What I've heard

Congrats on your 1st successful week of induction and weight loss !!!

I have heard that for like maybe the 1st 2 weeks you can feel a little ill as you are getting off carbs. Maybe your upset tummy can be attributed to that.

I would wait until after the 2nd week and see how you feel then. Alot of people say they feel great after 2 weeks and have loads of energy.

I think your upset tummy will subside once it adapts to the changes you have made.

Traci
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 00:16
Registered Member

Stats: 252/205/150 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi - my name is Sandy and I'm into my third week of Atkins. I had the EXACT feelings and I think it's eggs and cream and possibly cheese. It lasted 2 days for me (at the end of week 2) and then disappeared but I stayed away from eggs, cream, & cheese. I do feel great now and have a lot of energy.

Do you find you have an unexplained willpower with this plan? I sure do and I can't believe it.

All the best to you
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 08:08
Registered Member

BF:
Default Willpower

Thanks you guys for reponding
Sandy, when you felt yucky what did you eat in place of eggs/like breakfast?
I do feel amazingly strong in my willpower and the upset stomach/over-heated feeling, etc won't put a stop to my new way of eating
Before I started this, I had been exercising for 4 months with a low calorie diet. I didn't loose even a half an inch. I was very familiar with the Atkins approach and had friends that did very well an continue to maintain their weight loss.
There are a few downsides, like lack of variety in foods in the beginning.....But the up's outway the down's. I'm loosing inches very quickly and feeling that inspires even the toughest day.
I'm glad to hear this feeling passes.....But I need to eat something other than eggs for a few days--Suggestions?
Nan
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 08:12

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Only day 5 for me but the eggs in the morning really didn't agree with me at all, I had nausea too. The past two days I have been eating a 6 oz sirloin for breakfast and I feel much better. I eat the eggs later on in the day.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 08:14

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

There are also some viruses floating around. Could be that as well. You may want to try some chicken or beef broth, with low sodium. A little seltzer/club soda could help settle that tummy too. Hope you are feeling better.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 08:16
Registered Member

Stats: 180/130/120
BF:
Progress: 83%

I've been on the diet for 3 months now and I still get to the point were I just don't feel like eating. Just the thought of food makes me sick. But when I make myself eat, I feel better afterwards.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 09:02

Stats: 215/200/145
BF:
Progress: 21%

You are not alone with your upset stomach. I am in my third week on Atkins, and during induction I was miserable. I was tired, I ached all over, and worst of all I felt stick to my stomach all day long. Based upon some advice from this board I added some extra potassium and calcium to my daily supplements and within two days I began to feel better. I moved out of induction after the two weeks and into OWL, so that I could eat some additional types of carbs. I am still trying to stay at 20 carbs or less, but I allow myself some berries or other low carb vegtables which I think has helped as well.

Good Luck!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 09:27
Registered Member

BF:

Actually, I have been taking Calcium/magnezium and muti-vitamins for quite a long time--It's part of treating serious PMS. I am also taking additional potassium as well
I'm glad I'm not alone in this.....and I know it will pass. A lot us aren't use to eggs everyday or even meats.....So the body has to get use to it.
Thanks everyone...I really appreciate hearing from you.
Nan
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 15:22
Registered Member

Stats: 252/205/150 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi Nan:

Glad to hear your determination. For breakfast I would make some jello (sugar free) and let it cool for a bit. I would then add whipping cream and whip it up before it set. VERY YUMMY. I also ate cucumber, cheese and peperoni sticks just for variety from eggs. I got to the point where I couldn't stomach eggs and I love omlettes.

Keep it goin

Sandy
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 15:52

Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sandy37
[B]Hi - my name is Sandy and I'm into my third week of Atkins. I had the EXACT feelings and I think it's eggs and cream and possibly cheese. It lasted 2 days for me (at the end of week 2) and then disappeared but I stayed away from eggs, cream, & cheese. I do feel great now and have a lot of energy.

Do you find you have an unexplained willpower with this plan? I sure do and I can't believe it.

Yes! Sandy, I've got that "unexplained willpower".....I'm walking around knocking on wood! I want to start a thread that addresses this topic because I'm wondering how much of my binge type over eating and depression can possibly be blamed on too many carbs in the system. I think I will start this thread, because I find it really interesting......

My tummy has been "gurgley" since I began on Monday and I've spent an awful lot of time in the bathroom! It does get better with each passing day though! Day 2 was the worst!!!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 19:14
Registered Member

Stats: 225/215/130
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Upset tummy and potty time

I had the same problem and realized it was the Splenda. When I started using it, I ended up in the bathroom almost all day with nausea (and other problems) for a week until I finally figured out the problem. Splenda just doesn't agree with me, and I'm quite sorry about that, because I really LIKED it. Hopefully, that will not be the problem for you, but if you're using it, you might consider stopping and seeing if you improve.

Good luck.

Mary H.