Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 19:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/160/160
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Does eating bread make anyone sick now?

Good evening to all,
Since being on the Atkin's diet and keeping all breads, sugars and starches out of my life, I have lost weight and feel GREAT! But recently, I went to "SUBWAY" and cheated big time with a 6 inch turkey sub. The first time I had eaten bread in months, and it made me completely sick. I felt clogged, itchy, stuffy, like I had just ate something that just was not suppose to be in my body. I truely DETESTE bread now, and wonder how others felt about eating it? It seems as if I have built up an allergie to bread now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 20:25

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I was just thinking the same thing this morning.
I have just come back on Atkins.
Last weekend I had people over and since I had been off Atkins for a while I made some bread for garlic toast and really had more than four pieces…
I was possessed and could only think bread, bread, to make this story short I felt horrible for three days afterward.
Sick, bloated, headaches, no energy, I was fermenting for two days than was up all night running to the bathroom .
I am addicted to bread.
Now on my second day of induction I am clearheaded have loads of energy and life is great again.

Pene
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 20:37

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I had one slice of silver hills bread, flax seed, no flour used, 14 carbs, no effects, so far.
Not that I'm going to make a habit of it, but every now and then I think it's good for the bowels, however, if you can't stop at one slice, then don't take that one slice

Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 06:02

Stats: 235/195/150
BF:??????????
Progress: 47%
Unhappy Bread~~~~~~~~

Yup, even "low carb" bread gives me the worst "hangover" in the world, really bad headache, nausea, BLAH feeling! Perfection rolls were ok, can't toast them tho! We must have a wheat or yeast allergy ?????????
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 06:07

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

Yes! I usually feel sick if I eat carbs. I had a mother's day cheat of KFC and not only did it not taste as good as I anticipated (except for the choco chip cookies) but I felt sick to my stomach and sluggish all day.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 06:57
Registered Member

Stats: 123/117/108 Female 5'1"
BF:Unknown
Progress: 40%
Default I thought it was just me!!!

I had been on Atkins for almost 6 weeks and after an especially busy day and no time for dinner, hubby and I ran through the Wendy's drive thru about 9:00 pm. I decided on a bacon cheeseburger - figuring everything (except the bun) would be ok - and that a "one time cheat" of eating the bun might not hurt.........OMG!! I felt TERRIBLE after about 10 minutes. My belly was bloated, crampy and I felt awfully sick to my stomach the whole evening. We went to bed around 10:30 and although I fell right to sleep, I didn't stay asleep. I kept tossing and turning all night and still felt sluggish and "yucky" the next day. Next time I will starve until I can get home and have something good!! I will not eat drive thru food again!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 07:04

Plan: My Own
Stats: 356.8/335/190 Female 5' 9"
BF:huh?...what?..%#$~
Progress: 13%
Default Yup!

If I eat some bread I get constipated and my stomach begins to hurt.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 09:51
Registered Member

BF:

Yea, all of this relates to me. I think when you stop eating the refined starchy carbs (like bread) for a while, and then cheat and eat a little bit of them, you can tell the human body was actually NOT designed to consume them.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 10:20

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

I don't have a problem with bread - I eat the lo carb stuff (1 carb/slice). BUT, when I have anything else that I shouldn't be eating, my heartburn comes back big time! I used to take Prilosec daily for my heartburn and have stopped taking it for about 8 months. Now, anything high carb will cause me to dig for the Tums within 10 minutes!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 12:31

Plan: LC
Stats: 193/159.9/125 Female 158
BF:
Progress: 49%

I make my own bread with whole wheat flour and rye flour. 4 coups of rye and 2 cups whole wheat, I also add walnuts. It works just fine for me, but I can not eat white bread, it makes me sick and bloated. . I can post the recipe if anybody wants it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 18:51

Plan: LC
Stats: 193/159.9/125 Female 158
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Pam,
I got your message but it says your mail box or message box is full, so I am posting the recipe here.
I hope you like it as much as I do)

I first will write the exact recipe I was using before, which has a starter.
the starter:
1.5 tsp instant yeast
2/3 cup warm water (not hot)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
and for the dough:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups rye flour
2 tsp salt
1 cup water

mix the ingredients for the starter and leave it on the counter for two hours. And then combine all the dough ingredients with the starter. I will become a sticky dough, turn it onto floured surface and knead it until it becomes smooth and elastic.
Let it rise until doubled in size, punch it, let it rise again, and finally divide the dough in two, shape it into a long loaf and cover it with a tea towel so the loaf does not dry out. Leave it on the counter for 45 minutes and bake it on a floured baking sheet in a 400 degree oven until hollow sounding when tapped underneath.

the second recipe (the one I make these days)
4 cups rye flour
2 cups whole wheat
2 tsp instant yeast
warm water
2 tbsp olive oil
1.5 tsp salt
1 cup walnuts

I mix all dry ingredients and add the warm water slowly till I get a nice, not sticky dough, and the process is the same as the first one. This one is easier, and quicker because it does not require a starter.

I hope you enjoy it!

maggie
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 19:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/160/140
BF:
Progress: 47%

duchesse, do you know the carb count for your bread? Sounds yummmy!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 19:24

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Javy,

Out of curiosity I have tried just a bite of bread now and again in restaurants, probably not enough to trigger any physical reaction, but I have noticed that I don't actually like the stuff anymore; it just tastes like gummy stuff, pasty and icky. Makes it easy to resist, that's for sure!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 20:31

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well here I am 3 days after one slice of bread (with no flour) and I'm down a pound. Not that I plan to do it daily, but, 2-3 times a week would be a nice change
I truly believe that just going and eating the old white stuff is a huge mistake, but if you can find a good grain bread, and keep it within reason, no and then is good for you.

Kathy
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 22:34
Registered Member

BF:

Karla,
This is true, now when I eat bread it feels like I am eating paper or something. Does not react well with my digestive tract or something.