Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 10:28
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 186/171/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Question Supplements

Who is taking supplements? What do you take?

Are Atkins supplements better than others?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 11:07

Plan: TLC (Tracys Low-Carb)
Stats: 225/213/130
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Atkins suppliments

I just started taking the Basic 3 and Anti Oxident suppliments along with Metamucil. I also got the Dieters Advantage but won't start that until next week. I know that the Atkins suppliments are specially formulated for people on LC diets. I like them because it's all in one supliment. Instead of buying a bunch of stuff and taking numerous pills. I have not found another all-in-one suppliment other then Atkins yet. They are kind of pricey, but then I am used to buying an $8 multivitamin.

Good quetions though. I would like to know if there is something other then Atkins that is sufficent for LC diets. I will check back to this post to see what answers you get!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 19:00
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi TexLady,

I don't take Atkins supps - they're not available here.

The consensus here seems to be that any multivite will be helpful. Just make sure it has no sugar.

I also believe it's vital to take calcium, magnesium and potassium. Low carbing causes extra fluid losses, and electrolytes and minerals can be lost in the urine.

Calcium and magnesium are best taken together, in a 2cal:1mag form. You'll need 1000:500mg, unless you are post menopausal, in which case you'll need 1500mg calcium. Take them in divided doses during the day.

Potassium can be taken as a tablet, or you can use a potassium salt such as No Salt and sprinkle it on your food. You'll need 400mg daily and again take it in divided doses. Do take potassium tablets with food to prevent stomach irritation. Also, anyone taking fluid or blood pressure meds should check with their pharmacist before taking potassium supps.

HTH!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 20:18
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Good question! I've been researding this myself.

A successful Atkins low-carber who has been on maintenance several years told me that Vitamin C is essential also. She is an RN and said that the induction foods do not contain enough Vitamin C and our bodies do not store it.

Read Dr. Atkins Vita-nutrient book. It has tons of information.

Hope this helps.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 21:32

Stats: 224/200/175 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:who/gives/a crap
Progress: 49%
Talking Hi Health Dieter's Multi Vitamin

I take a Dieter's Multivitamin from Hi-health stores. They have it displayed with the Atkins products. It is perfect for Low carbers because it contains no iron (which Atkins says not to take.....getting enough!). I take 3 a day. It contains tons of stuff including Chromium, Magnesium, Calcium, and Potassium. Might want to check it out!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 16:58
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 186/171/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Good suggestions

Good suggestions, all! Thanks. You are all so well-informed