Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 10:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Study Reinforces Link between Fatty Diets, Heart Disease"

Study Reinforces Link between Fatty Diets, Heart Disease

May 13, 2003

- Tina Hesman St. Louis Post-Dispatch

link to article

ST. LOUIS - Researchers at Washington University have uncovered one mysterious link between high-fat diets, inflammation and heart disease.

Their study, done in mice, may have implications for Atkins dieters and people who take aspirin to prevent heart disease.

The researchers, led by Dr. Clay F. Semenkovich, studied mice that are prone to heart disease to learn how a blood-clotting protein links high fat diets and inflammation and leads to heart disease. The results of the study will appear this week in the online version of the Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences.

The scientists wanted to know why a class of powerful drugs given to people having heart attacks killed some patients when given long-term. The drugs block a protein called beta-3 integrin, which coats the surface of blood platelets. The protein helps the platelets stick together. That function is important for controlling bleeding, but sometimes sticky platelets form blood clots that may block arteries and lead to a heart attack.

The drugs don't break up existing clots, but keep new ones from forming. That helps people who are having heart attacks or heart procedures avoid further damage. Some doctors reasoned that might also help prevent blood clots from forming in the first place. But when doctors gave the drug as a preventive medicine, some of the patients died. No one knew why.

The new study suggests that high-fat diets may inhibit the beta-3 integrin protein, causing inflammation, which then leads to clogged arteries and heart disease. The researchers discovered the link when they removed the gene that produces beta-3 integrin from mice already prone to heart disease. "Knocking out" the gene in mice should produce the same effect as giving the drug long-term.

The scientists thought that the mice would be protected from heart disease because their blood would not clot as easily as in normal mice. But when the mice ate a high-fat diet - about 40 percent of the calories came from fat - "they keeled over dead and had the heart disease," Semenkovich said.

The mice died because of severe lung inflammation, but even those that survived had blocked arteries. Mice that were fed mouse chow, which contains very little fat, didn't have the same heart or lung problems.

The researchers suspect that the reason the mice still developed clogged arteries is that beta-3 integrin also helps hold blood vessels together. Removing the protein loosens the connections between cells in the blood vessel walls, providing places for platelets, cholesterol and other harmful molecules to latch onto the vessel and cause damage. The body responds with a flood of chemicals that cause inflammation, producing further damage.

The study may shed light on why some people don't respond to treatment with aspirin for the prevention of heart disease, said Dr. Jerome D. Cohen, a cardiologist who specializes in preventative medicine at St. Louis University. Aspirin helps prevent blood clots and reduce inflammation. Understanding the link between blood clotting, inflammation and heart disease may one day help doctors identify patients that may benefit from aspirin treatment and devise new therapies for those who don't, he said.

Cohen called the study "exciting" because "it may cobble together several different reasons of how our most common killer - heart disease - comes about." The study reinforces the link between high-fat diets, inflammation and heart disease, he said. "This may give us a clue to why some people may be susceptible to dietary indiscretions while others are not," Cohen said.

Semenkovich acknowledges that research in mice and other animals isn't always applicable for humans but contends that his mice are a good model for clogged arteries and heart disease.

"Some people will say `Well, mice are not men,' which is certainly true, but the blockages that occurs in these mice after eating a high fat diet is very similar to the blockages that men and women get," he said.

He cautioned against diets, such as the Atkins diet, which are laden with fat and cholesterol, even though they seem to help some people lose weight quickly.

"The fact that something works for a brief period of time does not mean it will work for a long period of time," Semenkovich said. "A good rule is moderation in all things."

---

(c) 2003, St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune News Service.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 11:56
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

If they think 40% is high fat....well then what is the other 60% of their diet made up of? Mostly carbs? I thought so!

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 12:07

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Precisely!

I wish they would do these tests on true low-carb diets. If you look at all the studies that say fat is bad, they are on diets that include high carbs as well. Fat is not stored in the body without excess insulin, you get excess insulin with high carbs (over simplification, I know).

On top of that, mice and rats are not carnivores. Their systems are not made to deal with more protein. They need carbs more than humans. So you can't test them on a true low-carb diet, which also makes the comaprison with low-carb bogus because you'll kill the rodents on a diet on which we thrive.

;-Deb
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 13:36

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

It seems to me that based on the study, one can say only that a moderate-fat diet, combined with a drug that loosens connections between cells in the lining of blood vessels, contributes to heart disease in mice. The question is -- why would anyone take a drug that loosens connections between cells in the lining of blood vessels to begin with?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 22:41

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Well, that does it for me. I'm convinced.

I'm going to avoid this powerful drug, not let anyone tinker with my genes, and try not to follow a low fat diet. 40% sure sounds low to me.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 10:27

If anyone can find the name of the drug that this article refers to, I'd appreciate it. I looked at the abstract of the study, and it didn't mention it. The full study requires a subscription to the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 10:36

Plan: parts of them all
Stats: 181/166/165 Male 5' 8"
BF:25%/9%/12%
Progress: 94%

The clincher for me is that many mice trying an Atkins diet die of a broken neck immediately after eating a tiny cube of cheese...

The assertion we have to call them on is: 50% carbs/40% fat is a high-fat diet and therefore any results can be used to judge Atkins' 10% carbs/70% fat (is that close?) diet.

I think I'll write the author a note to that effect.

By the way, here's the abstract
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 16:20

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Liars Study and Studies Lie

This report and the supporting study really smells of FRAUD.

They don't tell us which fats were used in the study but link the results to Dr. Atkins' on the basis of high fat levels only. I strongly suspect Professor Clay F. Semenkovich, MD, Washington Univ., St. Louis used omega-6 fatty acids in his study. I wrote him an email at the following link requesting detail information on the study but have seen no reply. If anyone else gets a reply, please let us know.

Clay F. Semenkovich, MD, Professor, Washington Univ., St. Louis

Study Reinforces Link between Fatty Diets, Heart Disease.

Omega-6 fatty acids are inflammatory.

Omega-6 fatty acids are suspected as causing heart disease.

However, the Atkins' diet does not include omega-6 fatty acids. Dr. Atkins' wrote extensively against omega-6 fatty acids in his book "Age-Defying Revolution."

Dr. Michael Eades also wrote extensively against eating omega-6 fatty acids in his book, "Protein Power LifePlan."

Although omega-6 fatty acids are essential in the diet their over consumption is very unhealthy and could contribute to bowel disease, arthritis, and a whole list of other autoimmune disease.

Absolutely avoid Omega-6 polyunsaturated vegetable, seed and grain oils made from corn, soybean, canola, safflower, sunflower, cottonseed, almond, apricot, grapeseed, hazelnut, peanut, poppyseed, rice bran, sesame, teaseed, tomato seed, walnut, and wheat germ. Do not take any Omega-6 oils such as flaxseed or primrose oil. The Omega-6 oils cancel the benefits of the good Omega-3 fat. However, do take Omega-6 gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) in the form of borage oil which has beneficial properties as described in Dr. Atkins' book. The necessary level of omega-6 fats in the diet are present in meats.

Kent
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 16:31

Kent,

If small amounts of omega-6 oils are essential, why should we avoid them from any source, if that source is healthy e.g., organic, processed at low temperature, oxygen-free environment? Aren't the omega-6 fats in borage oil structurally identical to the omega-6 fats in the other sources you mention?

P.S. -- Flax seed oil is usually eaten for its omega-3 oil content, isn't it?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 16:48

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default My Take on Omega 3s vs. 6s

The one thing I have gotten from the reading I have done is that the omega-3s in vegetable oils (primarily flaxseed oil, I don't know about borage oil) are long-chain omega 3s. We need short-chain omega-3s. About 2/3 of the human population have the enzymes to convert the long-chain omega-3s to short-chain, the rest don't. However, for those of us who do have the enzyme, it is a very inefficient process and we need to consume more to get less if we use vegetable oil sources.

Other animals have the enzymes and convert the long-chain to short-chain for us much easier than we can. So, when we eat oily non-farmed fishes (such as wild salmon), grass-fed beef, and other meat sources of omega-3s, we get the short-chain omega-3s we need and don't have to convert them.

I avoid polyunsaturated vegetable oils because they are too high in omega-6s, which we get from other sources, including meat. We need a 1 to 1 ratio (if I remember right) and vegetable oils are more like 20 to 1, omega-6s to omega-3s. Grass-fed beef and wild salmon have ratios nearer to 1 to 1.

Personally, the only fats I use are butter (from grass-fed cattle) and cold pressed extra virgin olive oil (primarily monounsaturated). I stay away from all other vegetable oil (primarily polyunsaturated) sources. And because I don't eat enough fish and can't seem to find an easy source of grass-fed beef, I take salmon oil capsules (being very careful to get fresh ones and refrigerating them to keep them from spoiling). Because the beef I eat is fattened on corn causing it to be too high in omega-6s, I trim the fat. But I would gladly eat the fat on grass-fed beef for its nutrient value.

Another good source is omega-3 eggs. These are usually made by feeding flax seed to the chickens who then convert the long-chain omega-3s to short-chain and pass them on to their eggs. Also, try cream from grass-fed cattle.

HTH,
;-Deb

Last edited by DebPenny : Wed, May-14-03 at 16:56.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 19:41

We do need some omega-6 fatty acids, but we get plenty in fresh meat, fish and fowl. The problem is to avoid omega-6 vegetable oils.

Flax seed oil can be converted in the body to EPA and DHA omega-3 fats with an enzyme reaction. However, some people don't produce this enzyme and can become omega-3 deficient on flax seed oil. North American coastal Indians are an example of people having this condition. Flax seed oil has another problem. It also has a good quantity of omega-6 fatty acid which doesn't help much in keep the omega-3/omega-6 ratio in the healthy range.

Borage oil certainly has omega-6 fatty acids in the form of GLA which is highly desirable. Read Dr. Atkins' book, "Age-Defying Revolution" for the details.

Personally I believe the "Free Range" and "Omega-3" eggs are a scam that nets very high profit for the producers. The little extra omega-3 is not worth the effort. Also, chickens are about the dumbest birds known. We raised chickens and they just as soon stay indoors.

I also believe the "Grass-fed" and "Omega-3" beef is a similar scam encouraged by the 300% to 500% profit gain. The amount of Omega-3 in animal, fish, etc. is determined by the ambient temperature. Fat neat the skin in winter is much higher in omega-3 fats than fat near internal organs in beef or other mammals. Researchers can make the data appear any way they want by season and location depending where they select the fat. Salmon and other cold water fish have lots of omega-3 fat because they would be stiff as a board if they had saturated fat. Fish are not warm blooded and therefore the same temperature as the water. Saturated fat is a solid at room temperature.

Myths, Distortions and Lies About Beef.

Some LC people criticize Dr. Atkins because he didn't support the grass-fed position on beef. Grain may make the beef fat but that doesn't harm the meat or fat one bit. I have found no solid research to prove otherwise. The arguments are basically emotional. I agree with Dr. Atkins.

Kent
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 13:03

Kent,

What do you consider a healthy Omega-6:Omega-3 ratio to be in a healthy person?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 14:15
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Hi: I'm puzzled. After reading the post about not using flaxseed oil, etc., I checked the bottle of Dr. Atkins' "Essential Oils" supplement, which I have been taking daily. I notice three of the ingredients (Alpha Lenolenic Acid, Lenoleic Acid, and Oliec Acid) are listed as "from flaxseed oil" or from a combination of flaxseed oil and other sources (borage and fish oils). I am way out of my depth here in regard to truly understanding the chemistry involved in some of this discussion, but I'm wondering why I am taking something marketed by Atkins that has flaxseed oil in it if he says it is harmful.....Can someone give me a simple answer?

Well, I don't expect anyone to tell me why *I* am taking it, just whether it is good for me.

Thanks,
Kay
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 16:00

TarHeel,

I understand that these debates about which sources of essential fats are good for you can get confusing quickly. As best I understand matters, Dr. Atkins' "Essential Oils" is perfectly fine, if you're already healthy. If you're starting out more than 20 lbs. overweight, though, your body may not be able to convert the raw materials in flax oil to the end products that your body needs: EPA and DHA.

There's already a thread discussing this debate over flax oil (although it's in the Protein Power forum) that may explain the issues for you.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 17:02

Quote:
What do you consider a healthy Omega-6:Omega-3 ratio to be in a healthy person?

Acohn,

The ratio most mentioned is 1:1 to 4:1 for Omega-6/Omega-3.

Most people in English speaking countries far exceed the 4:1 ratio unless they avoid the vegetable oil and eat cold water fish or take supplements. Cooking with corn oil and using common salad dressings easily throws the ratio far outside the range. Skin diseases, bowel diseases and many other conditions could be related to this. My hand skin problem completely disappeared on my LC diet plan with proper oils. The doctor's could not help.

The best book about fat is "Know Your Fats" by Dr. Mary Enig.
She writes much of the information on the Weston A. Price Foundation.

The 1:1 ratio is suspect because the Eskimos lived in very good health on salmon which has a lot of Omega-3 and very little Omega-6. The ratio for Atlantic wild salmon is 0.25:1 according to Dr. Enig's book.

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Thu, May-15-03 at 17:03.