Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 09:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/148/120 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Very depressed!!!!!!!

Today is my dh's and mine 14 day mark on induction!! I'm now totally depressed. I only lost 1 lb this week!!! (total 8 lbs) What did I do wrong? Should I stay on induction now? I so depressed that I just want to give up!!
My dh--on the other hand--lost another 8 lbs for a total of 18 lbs in 2 weeks. He wants to stay on induction. Yes---he has 50 more lbs to lose then me--but shouldn't I still have lost more than 1 lb???

And when will these cravings go away??? They are getting worse instead of better!!

Holly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 09:35

Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%

I would say not to lose sight of the fact that you are now 8 lbs lighter than you were 2 weeks ago! If you carry no expectations (like, OH I've GOT to lose 4 lbs per week), then you won't be so dissapointed. Who knows, next week you may lose 5 lbs. Then only 1 the next week. It is not a steady guaranteed amount of weight loss every week. It will balance out. I wouldn't be concerned, or feel like you need to make a change unless a) you are not eating enough, or eating enough fat b) you are eating too many carbs, or c) you hit a stall. You are just beginning!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 09:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I think 8 pounds is a great weight loss. I only lost 10 and have alot more than you to lose. I've read that you should expect to lose 10% of what you want to lose during induction and you exceeded that. Don't be depressed, be happy for a great accomplishment!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 09:45
Registered Member

Stats: 182/167.5/164
BF:
Progress: 81%

I would say stop feeling sorry for yourself. 8 pounds is a lot. THis is a long-term solution, not a crash diet.

Also, everyone is different. Its not fair if other people lose weight faster, just different.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 09:46

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Congratulations on loosing 8lbs! How are your clothes fitting, do you feel a difference? It seems to me that just about everyone stalls in the seccond and/or third week of the diet, I know I did. Don't give up, the weight loss will pick back up if you hang in there and just give it a little more time and don't backslide. What harm is just giving it another week or two? Just don't loose hope and let those carbs creep in because you feel it doesn't matter anyway. I experienced these thoughts too, but when I sucked it up, and kept LCing and the lbs did start going down again.

Best of luck!!!

Jamian
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 09:46

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Don't give up, you did good! The general rule is that you lose 10% of what you want to lose on induction. By all means stay on induction - I've been at induction levels for months and don't have any problem with it - I do add in more things than on induction, keeping track of carbs of course. Also, men tend to lose faster than women. There are supplements you can take for craving - do you take supplements?

Vikki
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 09:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default You're way ahead of the curve!

The average weight loss for induction is 10% of desired weight loss. Your weight loss puts you in the low metabolic resistance range - we should all be so lucky! Congratulations and don't get discouraged if your body stays where it is for a week or so. And don't compare yourself to your DH, their metabolisms are so different - it isn't fair!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 10:16
Registered Member

Stats: 139/130/120
BF:20

8 pounds in two weeks is great! Don't focus on the scale so much. It's just a number. Put it away, and concentrate on how great you feel 8 pounds lighter than you were 14 days ago. You WILL continue to lose, albeit maybe more slowly.

Guys usually lose weight more quickly with this WOE, and all the more so if they have more weight to lose in the first place--it's like throwing deck chairs off the Titanic.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 10:43

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you are having cravings you may need to eat a little more. Dr. A said to eat a small protein/fat snack when you have cravings. Also, don't forget to eat at least every 6 hours, you don't want to get too hungry. 8 pounds is what I lost on induction, too. I was thrilled.

Cindy
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 11:00

Stats: 311/216/185 Male 5" 9'
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hang in there, Your doing great. 8 lbs it great . Just look at how your eatting now, and you didn't gain anything - You Lost!
I lost 7 lbs my first week and only 1 1/2 lbs the second. When I saw that 1 1/2 pounds, I to was very depressed. I wanted more. I remained depressed for only 1/2 the day. The next week I lost 4 lbs.
Keep coming to this message board for encouragement. It took years to get this way, its gonna take a time to loose it as well. Be patient and keep the LC faith and your goad will be reached.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 11:08

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default What???

You're depressed about an 8 pound loss?!?!?!

This is NOT a rapid weight loss plan you know...

Stick with it!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 11:15

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

ONLY ONE POUND

Hello, do you know me?
If you don't, you should.
I'm a pound of fat,
And I'm the HAPPIEST pound of fat
that you would ever want to meet.

Want to know why?
It's because no one ever wants to lose me;
I'm ONLY ONE POUND, just a pound!
Everyone wants to lose three pounds,
five pounds, or fifteen pounds,
but never only one.

So I just stick around and happily keep you fat.
Then I add to myself, ever so slyly,
so that you never seem to notice it.
That is, until I've grown to ten, twenty, thirty or even more pounds in weight.
Yes, it's fun being ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT,
left to do as I please.

So, when you weigh in, keep right on saying,
"Oh, I only lost one pound."
(As if that were such a terrible thing.)
For you see, if you do this,
you'll encourage others to keep me around
because they'll think I'm not worth losing.

And, I love being around you -
your arms, your legs, your chin, your hips
and every part of you.

Happy Days!!!
After all, I'm ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT!!!

- Author Unknown

Last edited by LCBarbara : Thu, May-15-03 at 11:16.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 12:07
Registered Member

Stats: 173/148/120 Female 64"
BF:

Thank you everyone for the encouraging words!!! I guess I feel like I'm not losing weight because my clothes still fit the same they did before---tight!!!!

I know I'm not even having 20 carbs a day--so that's not the problem.

I guess I could blame it on having bacon last night and the water retention.

My dh said it's because I don't have diarrhea like him!!

Thank you to everyone!! You have given me hope!!!

Holly
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 20:55

Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HollyM_WA
[B]Thank you everyone for the encouraging words!!! I guess I feel like I'm not losing weight because my clothes still fit the same they did before---tight!!!!

I know I'm not even having 20 carbs a day--so that's not the problem.

First of all Holly, there IS no problem!!!! You lost 8 lbs. Where is the problem?

Secondly, your clothes may still be tight----but how tight were they before you began the diet? I mean, you could have fit yourself into pants that were 3 sizes too small, and after losing 8 pounds, now they are still 2 sizes too small! I'm just making an assumption with that last statement. But, I know it would apply to me-----I know that I cannot go by the tightness of my clothes if they were SUPER tight to begin with. Have you measured yourself? I would recommend canning the scale for a while since you rely on it a little too heavily (emotionally!), and just go by measurements. MUCH more accurate. And, don't fall into the temptation to weigh yourself (Have hubby hide the scale for 2-3 weeks!).
Best, Louisa ]
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 23:15
Registered Member

Stats: 172/157/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Dont beat yourself up !

Congrats on your 8 lb. weight loss !!!

Dont get down on yourself cause you didnt lose as much as dh. I have always read men lose much quicker than women. Its just something we are cursed with.

You say your clothes still fit tight but I guarantee you they will get looser and looser just stick with it. It was a great feeling last year when I was on the diet and dropped 3 pant sizes in 3 months. It happens so quickly u dont even realize it. You should have seen me at the store when I was buying a new pair of jeans my mouth dropped in awe and I was in disbelief I could fit into a size pants that was 3 times smaller. It was wonderfdul !!!

Keep the faith it will happen !!!

Traci