Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 00:15

Plan: atkins 20-30 carbs
Stats: 164/155/125 Female 61
BF:30%/?/?
Progress: 23%
Question Cheesecake on induction?

This may seem like a dumb question. I have the 1992 version of the New Diet Revolution. It may be outdated and theres no specific area on these forums that I have found that talks specifically about the induction. Some people say they eat cheesecake here but maybe because they are past the induction phase. Anyway here goes... I purchased a chocolate cheesecake yesterday at a low carb/ Atkins style bakery. Its sugar free. I hear everyone talking about cheesecake and wonder if I can have even the slightest piece while in induction. I dont care for the crust really. Just want something sweet NOW. Even a tablespoons worth. Help, answer someone.

With that said, if there isnt one(because I havent found it) Can a new area be made for the induction phase.

Thanks

#2   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 06:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/200/150
BF:
Progress: 19%
Talking Crustless Cheesecake

Total Carbs 21 grams
Makes 8 servings; Per Serving 2.6

12 ounces cream cheese (softened)
2 packets different sugar substitutes or 3 packets of the same kind.
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup fresh strawberries (optional 5l.2 grams of carbs.)

.Combine the cream cheese, sugar substitute, and vanilla extract in a bowl and mix well. Beat the heavy cream in a bowl until it forms soft peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.

Transfer the mixture to a large glass bowl and chill covered with plastic wrap for at least 25 minutes. Top with the berries, if using.
Serve immediately or store covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for 2 days.

Recipe taken from a great little cookbook:

Dr. Atkins Quick & Easy New Diet Cookbook

I'm not sure about eating this on induction, but I think without the berries maybe it's ok.......someone on this list should know.
Have fun!

Last edited by nani : Sat, May-10-03 at 06:11.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 08:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

There's an up-to-date list of Allowed Foods at the official Atkins website ... www.atkinscenter.com.

Fruits and berries are not permitted until after the 14-day Induction period. Cheese and cream cheese are limited to 3 - 4 oz per day maximum, and heavy cream is restricted also to 2 - 3 fl oz. per day. As long as you stick to the recommended portion size, the cheesecake recipe above would be fine for Induction. Just remember to adjust your intake of other high-fat dairy foods for the rest of the day to make sure you don't go over the limits.

Commercially prepared low-carb and sugar-free desserts are best avoided during Induction. The product may list the carb count on the label, but you have no way of knowing how much of any ingredient there is in there. Basically, the Rules of Induction state "if it's not on the list of Acceptable Foods, don't eat it."

hth,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 08:17

Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Newbies Questions

A lot of discusssion abut induction goes on in the section called "Newbies Questions." I understand your craving for something sweet, but maybe buying a whole cheesecake wasn't the best idea. Watch out for "sugar free" foods, too. Some can have startch or fillers that drive up the carb count. It's neat you have a low carb bakery near you. Do they offer nutritional info on their products? I just started induction a week and a half ago, and I've decided to stay away from the sugar free treats at least until I'm well into OWL, because I'm trying to retrain my palate not to crave sweets. I think I'll be psyched just to have berries in a few weeks! I guess it's a personal choice.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 22:54

Hi Klawrence,

You know, Iv'e been curious about that and I think I'll ask when I go to the bakery again. If I know the contents, then I can add it to my fitday list. I wont be there for quite some time because I went a bit crazy, it was my first or second day on the induction and when I walked in the lady just answered my questions and wasnt really concerned about how far into it I was. I think I did mention it to her though and she still agreed to sell me the bread. I purchased 2 loaves of low carb bread, they're in my freezer and the low carb crackers are in the pantry. I originally paid for the first two things then a customer told me she had started the Atkins again the week before and she was buying a cheesecake. So thinking she was a veteran at this and that it wouldnt do no harm, I placed my debit card down again and got a cheesecake. I havent even smelled it. It's in the freezer.

I think I'll try that homemade version soon. Maybe tomorrow.Thanks Nani
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 23:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
then a customer told me she had started the Atkins again the week before and she was buying a cheesecake.

Ah, that should have been your clue. You could have asked her why she was starting Atkins again ... An old pro learns from their mistakes.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 23:11

True, true, very true. I wasn't focusing very well. I felt like a kid in a candy store. LOL and still Ive had none of what I went to get. hahahaha

Well it gives me piece of mind to know that Iv'e probably lost more weight than her in the past week. Hooray!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 08:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
originally posted by Doreen
Commercially prepared low-carb and sugar-free desserts are best avoided during Induction. The product may list the carb count on the label, but you have no way of knowing how much of any ingredient there is in there .

Ditto on Doreen's post. There was this whole heated discussion over in Low Carb Products because someone had purchased some stuff from a bakery. The bakery claimed their products were low carb, but then they were claiming their stuff was low fat (not an Atkins concern, but a WW concern). It turned out one of their ingredients was white flour! The numbers didn't add up. All kinds of posts on that thread were deleted.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 13:32
Registered Member

Stats: 210/158/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Since you're just beginning Atkins - why don't you give it a couple more days before you give in to your craving. I'm new too and after the first few days, I could care less about any sweets. If you get used to taking care of your sweet tooth - it might be too easy as you go along.

Go have something else. Yesterday I used up all my carbs but a few. I still had dinner to go. I love dressings, sauces, you name it - and the pork chop I was going to have was a little dry. I decided to use sour cream and blue cheese on my pork chop and I sat and ate my salad like it was a bowl of snacks. I never thought I'd eat a dry salad but I did enjoy it. This morning I felt so good that my carbs were at 20 for the day.

So go get a piece of ham or some sort of meat - spread a little cream cheese on it and have that. I also found that deviled eggs give me the feeling that I'm eating something forbidden.

Leave the cheesecake in the freezer and set a date a month or so or more away - or so many lbs. away - when you're out of induction and have it then. I'm planning to make the one listed in a month or so - and having it then. I need my carbs for salads and cream for my coffee.

Good luck. I know it's not easy sometimes.

Last edited by Pooh_n_Me : Thu, May-15-03 at 13:33.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 23:42

Thanks Pooh,
Don't worry though, that was only my second day on induction. I've actually come thru pretty well. I haven't had that craving I hear of where you just have to get a little bite of this or that. It was so funny because just today I was at the market check out line and bought a pack of sugarless gum. I could have sworn it was okay, but I got to my car after popping a piece of gum in my mouth. I decided to browse my Atkins book and check out the sweetners allowed in induction. I suddenly read malitol that was one of the ingredients in Orbit gum. You should have seen me I started screaming because I coulnt open the window, my DH had them locked. When I finally managed to pull down the window, I spit that gum farther than you could beleive. Then I started to spit out the sweetness from my mouth and hope I didnt absorb any of it. My DH was telling me that wasn't necessary' and I looked at him in disbelief and said "It shows you haven't read the book". You had to be there! It was hillarious.

Terry