Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 10:15

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%
Question Any CADers here?

Is anyone on this board doing CAD as opposed to CALP? I have been posting on another board where everyone is doing CALP. I don't balance my reward meal (much) and have lost 26 lbs in the past (am up about 8 from there right now). Anyone else love CAD and not want the restriction of balancing?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 10:26

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Cool me,me!

I have been doing strictly CAD since I started, although I have read CALP as well.

However,... even in CAD, you are supposed to balance your reward meal.

Page 121 of CAD reads

"Keep in mind, your Reward Meal must be balanced. This is a vital part of the success of the program. Your RM is NOT a binge. It is a healthful combination of foods that provide you with carbohydrates every day without overstimulation of your insulin release all day long. A meal comprised of pizza, potato chips, cookies, cake and ice cream is NOT balanced. That kind of meal has no place in this program."

However, there are other places in the book where they make it sound as though you can eat anything you want for your RM.

My way of doing CAD is that I strive for balance in my RMs, but I don't sweat it. So, I usually have a salad or LC veggies.. but sometimes I don't. And, more often than not, my meals (including dessert) are carb-heavier than perfect balance would dictate. Feel free to look at my journal if you like, as I post my food in there daily.

I guess everyone has to work this the best way for them, that will allow them to lose the weight they want and still make it stick-to-able

Tracy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 16:09

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I agree with Tracy. I don't make a fettish of the balance, but it is on my mind and something I strive for. Usually, I'm a bit carb heavy but not by too much.

It's not a free-for-all, but it is pretty exciting to eat such yummy stuff.

Obviously what you are doing is working, unless the extra pounds creeped on due to overindulging. Wasn't clear whether you went off the program. Anyway, I wouldn't fix what's not broken....you're doing great.

Deb
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 17:47

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

Ditto deb and vel-I am not always perfect, but I try to have the salad and at least some of another vegie and enjoy dessert each night.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 22:59

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I wasn't going to answer, because I consider myself on CALP rather than CAD, but it sounds like my approach is not too different than other CAD'ers - I strive for balance, but whenever it is inconvenient I happily chuck the balance. I do keep it within the hour, and keep the CM's from the list. I am losing slowly on CALP and never lost on Atkins.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 10:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/140/120 Female 5:4
BF:
Progress: 44%
Thumbs up atkins versus cad

I never lost on atkins either, despite being in ketosis (dark purple) for over two weeks. cad is so much better, and really, it truly is a plan for life since you're not deprived. I feel like Im eating right for the first time in my life, and i'm finding myself not even being able to eat that much at my reward meal. Cad makes you feel like you're more in control. This is the only plan that could ever stop me from snacking between meals. I am also hypoglycemic( caused by years of secret sugar binges,) and even with my reward meal my blood sugar is in control. I recommend this diet to anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!Actually, it's not even a diet....
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 06:39

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Cool CADer

I have never been over-concerned about balance at the RM and I lost steadily (but not super-fast) on CAD.

I read CALP, but far prefer the CAD style of eating. I'm not that anal about meals and can't get that way. If I had to eat a salad all the time, I'd be off the WOE in a week.

I do try to keep the veggie low carb if I can, but if I want to have baked beans or corn, darn it, I'll have them! That's what makes this WOE livable. It doesn't require you to go back to infancy and create a whole new you who pretends it's okay to never have things you really like, ever again.

Also, I regularly eat a sweet or desert with dinner. I love sweets and it's really a treat to know that although I can't eat cookies during the day (I don't really crave them anymore) I can eat a few for desert, if I so choose to.

Do what works for you and don't forget to use a tape measure to help reasure you of your success. I lost many more inches than pounds due to the increased protein.

Oh!!! Ignore my current weight gain. I'm pregnant (Sigh.)

Jeannie
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:02

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have loved CAD because of the freedom to once a day eat whatever I wanted with my family. I'm not suggesting that the RM should be 100% chocolate, chips and cookies...I do eat real food, but it sure is nice to be able to come home from work and not have to make a separate meal for me (my husband gets off work before I do and makes something for all of us but he's no chef!!!)
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 12:50

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 172/156/125
BF:
Progress: 34%

I do a mixture of the two. I try to eat a good RM - but I don't balance as strict as CALP. I also have a snack every now and then. My weight loss is slow, but I'm just a slow loser on any way of eating.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 08:48

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default return to calp

Hi,everyone, I was on CAlp a year ago and lost 30 lbs from Novto April. I was about the only one on the forum that wasCading. So I left and consequently got away from the diet.Now I see more people are on this diet and this motivates me again.Even my doctor encouraged me to try it again yesterday when i had my checkup. Look forward to chating with everyone again. wawtigress