Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 09:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Question Girls only question

Sorry about all the gross personal questions, but I'm normally very regular (I'm on the pill) and since I started Atkins two weeks ago, I've gotten my period twice, but only for a day each time. My husband's worried that with this WOE, it's going to be my TOM all the time! Anyone else with advice/ similar experiences?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 10:12
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 205/197.5/160
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi, I was just reading somewhere about the pill and someone else says they have the same problem, but was told this is normal the first two weeks. But if it persisted I would talk to my doctor about it.

Jo
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 10:19

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

It's normal. I, too, am on the pill, but it didn't help much the first month or so. I had a totally whacked out cycle my first month on LCing. I think TOM came a week early and stayed for 2 weeks. Don't worry, it'll all return to normal. However, if it doesn't, take a trip to see the good old doc.

HTH-
Nikki
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 11:51

Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Smile

Thanks. Good to know it's not just me.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 14:34
Registered Member

Stats: 252/224/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 27%

Yep, I also am on the pill and my cycle was whacked last month. It came one week early the first month and I have noticed that it is back to normal this month.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 14:52

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Question

I've been on Atkins for almost 2mos and I'm not on the pill. I had a normal period a couple weeks into it, but this week I was spotting for a couple days (only about 15 days since my last period). It's been freaking me out because I'm very regular and have never had spotting before. Interresting to see that this is happening to other people, but it still worries me. Anyone know why this happens?

Jamian
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 15:03

BF:

This is a pretty basic explanation, but here goes...

I believe it has something to do w/the hormonal balance being thrown off-center for a little bit. When you LC and lose weight, you're fat cells are not only releasing the fat, per se, they're releasing toxins and hormones (estrogen is stored in fat cells). These hormones basically run around our system not knowing what to do and confuse our cycles (putting it simply). Once our bodies adapt to the new WOE, our systems regulate themselves and things return to normal, if not better than normal.

I had one crazy month and then all returned to normal. TOM's next visit was short, sweet and less 'cramped' than usual. That's how it is still, eight months later.

Beth (Elihnig) posted a link to this thread a while back, but it may help w/some of your questions.

HTH-
Nikki
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 18:38

Stats: 239/208/135 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:don't go there!!!
Progress: 30%

I am all wacky right now too-I posted another thread about it a few days ago because I was etting frustrated with spotting for the past 2 weeks but alot of people are saying it is normal so hang in there and hopefully it will stop-I am hoping the same thing for myself!!!
Good Luck!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 21:23

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

It seems that most women have changes in their cycles. (Mine have changed.) But now I don't have PMS (I never really did, I just get sad at movies or commercials).
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 00:04
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hello

I am on Depo and have been since a few months before starting Atkins. I very rarely have a period on Depo but that first month on Atkins I had 2 short periods like 4 days 3weeks apart and then back to "normal" for me no more periods since that was August...
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 00:35

Stats: 155/144/125
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default I thought it was only me!

I never connected it to the diet, either. I am a new mom, fully breastfeeding, and did not expect the return of the curse for maybe 10 months, as was the case for my previous babies.

Lo and behold, two weeks on Atkins OWL (did not do induction because of the nursing, doing about 35-40 g veggie and berry carbs a day), I had this weird spotting, and a week later, again the spotting.

I was really freaked out about it, wondering if something was wrong. Now I get it, thanks to the explanation of the hormonal effects of low carbing. Thanks.

Yaelle
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 12:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 165/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 60%

I am on the pill, and my first month of LCing, my period came a week early. I called my OB/GYN and talked to a nurse about it. I explained my WOE, and the situation. She said it probably was the diet, and I should continue to take my pills every day on schedule. I did, and everything has been on time since. I have noticed that my period has been lighter since I have been LCing, so that makes it a little bit more comfortable to bear. Good luck!
Julie
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 19:26

Stats: 236.5/223/120
BF:
Progress: 12%

I think is has something to do with the amount of protien.

I've always been able to trigger my period a few days early by eating lots of protien. If I avoided protien, it delayed by several days.

Relax, you will resettle into a proper cycle.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 11:27

Stats: 200/200/135
BF:TOO MUCH!
Progress: 0%
Default what is...

Hi guys-

I'm new to the site and I've enjoyed getting bits and pieces of information about LCing, however, when reading some messages I don't know what WOE & TOM is? I know it's sounds stupid but can anyone tell me what its stand for?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 11:32

BF:

TOM = Time of the Month
WOE/WOL = Way of Eating/Way of Life

All the acronyms can be found here in this thread.

Happy reading!
Nikki