Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 18:21
aznlily68

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default I'm 14.....is this dieting good for me?

Ive been on and off of Atkins for a long time. I lost A LOT of weight and it changed my life.....but now, i look skinny....especially in my upper body. Everybody is saying that i should never ever diet because i'm skinny and tall......but im still not satisfied, you know what i mean?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 18:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

Dude
are you 14 years old?
If so, what is a long time?
You should be running around playing soccer and loving the few years you got left before they start making you pay for stuff.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 18:32
aznlily68

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

yep, I'm 14 years old
The first time i went on atkins was around 6 grade
i lost A LOT
then i stopped
i went on and off whenever i thought i was gaining
i started again and im still losing
My parents own a store and my mom will order ANYTHING on the market for me. Since were kinda doing this together, i get to take as many bars and sugar free chocolate.
BTW, i eat a bar a day and a lot of sugar free choco everyday.......is this good?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 18:54

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

I don't think it's good to eat all that chocolate. An occsional treat is OK but these displace healthy foods. As I said in another post, I think your weight is right now. I don't think you should try to lose to what you have for your goal.
I know the very thin look is fashionable but scrawny is not pretty!

Last edited by BarbCA : Mon, May-12-03 at 18:55.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 19:28

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:

125 pounds is a 20.22 BMI
115 pounds is a 18.6 BMI

On an adult 20.22 is Low Normal and 18.6 is Underweight. But, the numbers are slightly different for children. I'll have to look them up.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 19:34

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:

125 ~ 5'6" (14 yo Girl): 41st Percentile. Normal.
115 ~ 5'6" (14 yo Girl): 30th Percentile. Normal.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 21:29

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Aznlily, there's a difference between "dieting" and eat healthfully. I think Atkins is very healthy if you do it right. Why don't you concentrate on healthy eating habits including fresh meats and veggies? I bet you look great and have lots of energy. Don't worry about losing or the scale. Just have fun, eat right, and chill out.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 14:44
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Diana,

My daughter is your age and almost exactly your size and I can tell you that she looks great. She usually wears a size 5 -- I bet that is what you wear.

Have you thought about why you are never satisfied with the way you look? If you have a school counselor or a doctor or a minister or some other adult you can trust, you might want to talk to them about it. I know that there is lots of pressure on girls to be skinny. There was pressure when I was your age and it is at least as bad now -- especially with the clothing styles for juniors right now.

The problem is that if you keep trying to diet and make yourself skinny now, you will probably cause yourself more weight problems as you get older and may also develop eating disorders that could ruin your health. I'm not telling you to get fat again, but you are already at a weight where I know you must look thin and glamorous.

I think that most school counselors and pediatricians understand the pressures teenage girls face with regard to their weight. If you could talk to someone about why you can't be satisfied with the what you weigh now, it might really be helpful to you.

Last edited by liz175 : Tue, May-13-03 at 14:45.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 23:00
Registered Member

Stats: 203/171/150 Female 173 cm
BF:
Progress: 60%
Exclamation

I think following atkins is only sensible for you on lifetime maintenence. You should concentrate on eating really healthy foods and not all the artificial low carb substitutes you have been eating - they aren't that great for you. Your current stats indicate that you would be extremely lean and do not need to lose anymore weight. I know that when i was 14 i had problems with weight and always thought i was overweight even though i was 110 ~ 5"7 - i look back now and think yuck did i really look like that!!!! You just need to concentrate on being healthy