Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 18:10

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Angry Argh! Bad Atkins Info AGAIN!

I was watching a show today about different food plans/diets, particularly different plans used by celebrities (I think it was on E! but I was doing housework at the same time and I'm not really sure) and they mentioned Atkins. The so-called expert, an MD, started to talk about Atkins and said "Atkins consists of high protein, lots of it, and very little else. You can lose weight on it but it is not the healthiest way to lose. You can't keep eating NO CARBS forever."

Argh! This kind of misinformation from an "expert" is so frustrating and is exactly the reason why so many LCers get grief from those around them. Obviously, this guy got his information from some other guy who got his wrong information from some other guy, etc. and NOT ONE of them has ever read the book, or studied the research.

Just had to vent.....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 19:50

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

No TV = Good TV

except King of the Hill, of course
Jinx
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 20:49
Registered Member

Plan: primarily Atkins
Stats: 180/137/138 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Totally off the topic, but I'm glad to see that another Texan appreciates King of the Hill -- I think Boomhauer's relatives in my neighborhood!

Judy
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 21:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default King of the Hill...

Better Boomhauer's relatives that Dale Gribble's.

Love that show! My DW thinks I'm nuts...

Cheers!

BrewWA
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 22:07
aznlily68

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

ugh, dont listen to them. THey don't know any better. LC rules!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 05:25
Registered Member

Stats: 241/179/182 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 105%

I know this is a bit selfish, but I reckon that only two things matter in relation to Atkins and the misinformation.

Firstly, I am simply going to let the results speak for themselves, from weight loss to better health to GREAT food. When people with an open mind ask how I am losing weight, I will finish my mouthful of steak and eggs, take a drink of my coffee with cream, and tell them about Aktins as I pass them the book to read

Secondly, I reckon it is up to each individual to take the initiative and read relevant information, and not be brainwashed by the 30 second sound bite of so called experts. I believe I have made the right decision based on my reading.

And finally, King of the Hill is passable, but pales in relation to the Simpsons. Homer is the role model....
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 08:07

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default I saw that !

I saw that same E special on weight loss, and was suprised more celebs were not mentioned to have been on Atkins . I think they are in the closet.
But thought they made a good point about maintenance and Zone diet, which was that it was impossible to live on the Zone percentage system the rest of your life.
I am so used to so called Dr.s on TV talking about Atkins and how 'bad' it is that I pay no attention to them. To get that job you usually have to be more TV friendly than medically competent.
If you watched the whole E special, what about that colon treatment where you lose 20 pounds??? I am still really freaked out about that !
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 08:20

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

There's room in my heart for the Simpsons and King of the Hill but my uncle IS Boomhauer. I think it was amazing to be right on with REAL Texas archetypes. Refreshing since so many shows are based in northern cities.

and back to LC - I don't believe that some idiotic tv show has it's finger on the pulse of the nation since they have never bothered to contact me!

-Jinx
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 08:36

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 198.3/178.7/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Re: Argh! Bad Atkins Info AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pugzilla
I was watching a show today about different food plans/diets, particularly different plans used by celebrities (I think it was on E! but I was doing housework at the same time and I'm not really sure) and they mentioned Atkins. The so-called expert, an MD, started to talk about Atkins and said "Atkins consists of high protein, lots of it, and very little else. You can lose weight on it but it is not the healthiest way to lose. You can't keep eating NO CARBS forever."

Argh! This kind of misinformation from an "expert" is so frustrating and is exactly the reason why so many LCers get grief from those around them. Obviously, this guy got his information from some other guy who got his wrong information from some other guy, etc. and NOT ONE of them has ever read the book, or studied the research.

Just had to vent.....

Yep, I saw that in April and posted about it here:

Atkins talked about on the E! channel