Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 21:34
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%
Default What do you make with Atkins flavoured syrups?

Not very often that I can find Atkins products around here, so today when I did.....Raspberry Syrup....I thought I had better snap it up. Funny thing is there are no recipes on it, so I have no idea what I will do with it....LOL

Any suggestions?

Jo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 06:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/160/120
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Atkins Syrup

HI there. Atkins syrups are pretty versatile, just like any other one. Think of it like a flavor extract (eg: vanilla) with sweetner in it. I've used mine in teas. You could make your own sugar free jello. I bet you could use it to flavor your own homemade low carb ice cream. You could use it to make a rasberry butter spread for some low carb pancakes, you could also use it to flavor whipped cream, and you could use it for flavoring a cheesecake! There is lots of things to use it for! I'm also thinking of trying to use my flavored syrups to makes some homemade "jelly" for my low carb bread and muffins. Just play around with it, and I'm sure you'll come up with something!

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 07:46
Recovering Yo-Yo

Hi Rachel,

Thanks so much for the great ideas. I honestly had no idea what I was going to do with it. I was so excited when I found it and showed it off proudly to my hubby when I got home. Then he asked me what I would do with it....and there I stood dumbfounded....I had no idea. He got a good laugh out of it!

Jo
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 20:47

BF:

Hi Jo! You're welcome. I have some Atkins hazelnut syrup, that I use in coffee, and once I used it with some cocoa powder to make a chocolate hazelnut marble cheesecake. Yummy! Although the only things the stores here sell are the shakes and the advantage bars! Good luck with your syrup!

Rachel
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 10:12

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

My husband uses the chocolate flavored syrup to make "chocolate egg creams", mixing some with some club soda and a touch of vanilla. Yummy!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 15:47
Recovering Yo-Yo

Default Yummy is right!

Wowza Boom......that sounds great! I may just have to try that one!

Jo
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 18:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/186/145 Female 5 foot 5 in.
BF:?????????
Progress: 39%
Default I make a nice drink

I use the syrup to make like a cream soda. I pour a small amount in to club soda add heavy cream and sometimes when I want a real treat add some heavy wiping cream and one cherry! I use it as my sweet tooth fix!
Sarah
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 18:33
Recovering Yo-Yo

Default You guys are making me hungry!!!

These all sound so wonderful.....I have quite the recipe card index going now thanks to you all!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 20:30

BF:
Default Chocolate egg creams???

Boom, would you please post the egg cream recipe...i would love to see it! Thanks!

Rachel
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 07:39

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Mr/Ms. He just takes some club soda, adds a little vanilla extract and some of the chocolate flavored syrup and a touch of heavy cream and stirs it up with a spoon. Yummy! I prefer plain vanilla egg creams (no chocolate syrup) cuz I love vanilla.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 10:34

BF:
Default Thanks!

Thanks Boom. I've always heard about egg creams, but never knew wht they were. They sound good, and I think I'll try the vanilla first, as chocolate is not as appelaing to me anymore! Thanks bunch!

Rachel
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 13:24

Plan: Own Plan w/ Atkins & WW Tips
Stats: 127/122/115 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 42%
Question About these syrups & atkins bake mix?

I have never used these syrups or atkins bake mixes before. I've been increasing my fat by using real butter and using it as a dressing poured over warm spinach or lettuce salads, but wanted to try something different.

Figured I could prepare a pancake smothered in butter or this syrup. The Atkins site says it's zero cal and zero carb. What kind of sweetner is it? Is it Splenda?? B/c Splenda actually contains some carbs?? So when we use this syrup whether it's a dab or a tablespoon you mean we do not have to count ANY cals or carbs??

I haven't really been craving sweets or carbs lately. Will these two cause me to start craving the real thing? (I assume not since they don't contain the ingredients that would trigger this)

I figure it's time for me to start being more creative. I am in Induction still and I noticed the atkins site gave this an OK for induction.

I wanted to make sure I'd stick to this WOE before I started spending $$ in these products, but it seems to suit me so far...
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 15:01

BF:
Default Maltodextrin

Hi there, I believe it's the powder form splenda that has carbs, due to the maltodextrin. I'm not positive though...you may want to up on it in the article about low carb sweetners on the right hand side of this page. In any case these products are ok for induction, but in limited amounts. You shouldn't use them everyday. So moderation is the key!

Rachel
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 15:46

Plan: Own Plan w/ Atkins & WW Tips
Stats: 127/122/115 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 42%
Smile Thnx for the Reminder

Thnx for the reminder about "moderation". Sometimes I forget about that when I'm happy about a new low carb product I enjoy and end up going overboard.

But you are talking about the syrups, right? It would be okay to use the bake mix to have a pancake for bfast several days in a row I assume. I wouldn't have to use the syrup everytime; It's also good with the real butter.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 21:25

BF:

I think eating the pancakes 3 times a week would be ok, but I'm not sure about more than that. It probably wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't swear to it...LOL. You may wanna call the Atkins hotline, and I believe it would depend on what phase you are on. Induction, I would definitely not eat them more than 3 times a week, but after that...it would probably be fine almost everyday. The hotline number is 800/6-Atkins.

Rachel