Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 15:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/149/150
BF:
Progress: 102%

i bought the keto shaped pasta shells.. tried it last night for the first time.. i was sooo hungry for pasta.. haven't had any since i started this low carbing first of the year.. ugh it was nasty.. it was brown in color and had a styroform texture.. i was so bummed out
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 17:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

bump time
  #48   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 20:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/129/120
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Keto spaghetti

I also thought YUCK with the Keto spaghetti and was really disappointed because it got great reviews. I had a lot left over, so put it in a container with the leftover sauce and stuck it in the frig. Two days later I decided I would try a little for a snack (I can't stand to let anything go to waste). I was surprised that this time it tasted just like regular whole wheat pasta. I mentioned it to DH and he said he has some leftover the day before and thought the same thing. I have been told that many of the LC products need to "rest" to become edible. I now make the spaghetti a day head and then reheat for dinner the next night. MUCH BETTER!
  #49   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 13:02

Stats: 205/189/170
BF:
Progress: 46%

I actually love the keto spaghetti

I'm ordering a few more boxes this weekend, its great to be able to eat something pasta like again. Its not as good as real pasta but its better than no pasta
  #50   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 14:47
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I love the Keto spaghetti, which I eat with tomato sauce and ground beef chunks.

I also like the Proslim tagliatelle. They have a noodle shape. I boil them in chicken broth to which chicken chunks are added. That is, I made chicken and noodles.

I've also tried the Due Amici pasta. I hated it.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 23:42

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

So wait, Keto spaghetti = edible? Interesting.

The Due Amici is pretty bad. Even smothered with tons of butter, cheese, meat, etc. I can't take the texture. It's been sitting in my cupboard untouched for quite a while now.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 05:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

The keto pastas I tried were disgusting.

I have to second speghetti squash votes. YUMMY !!!! I can't even begin to tell you how much I love it with butter and garlic and parmesan cheese. TO DIE FOR!!!! So much better IMHO than any of the yucky pastas.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 07:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

For even lower carbs than spaghetti squash ... ZUCCHINI makes a great pasta substitute.

Peel it, then use your vegetable peeler to pare off thin noodle-like strips lengthwise. Stop when you get to the seedy core, which can be discarded. Steam or sauté in a little olive oil ... et voilà .. noodles.

A whole cup of cooked zucchini slices has only 7.07g carbs / 2.52g fiber = 4.55g net carbs.

Doreen
  #54   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 13:08

Stats: 224/200/175 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:who/gives/a crap
Progress: 49%
Talking Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate everyone's replies! I think I'll give keto a chance. And I will definetly try the zucchini idea, too!!
  #55   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 15:48
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Don't the zucchini strips break up when you cook them?? (Zucchini has always seemed kind of "delicate" to me. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. )

--Ruth
  #56   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 17:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Ruth,

I generally steam the zuke strips, and yes, a few strips fall apart, but nothing major. Perhaps it's a matter of doneness? To tell the truth, I haven't sautéed them before, but I've seen that method suggested in some recipes .

Also, maybe if the zuke is a large one, those tend to be pulpier and more prone to disintegrating when cooked. Smaller, "younger" zukes are firmer and hardly any seeds, so maybe it would be best to choose only smaller squash to make "noodles".

Doreen
  #57   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 13:33

Stats: 245/239/150
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Zucchini Spaghetti

I am so glad to have found this thread. I had looked high and low for the Due Amici pasta, now I'm glad I didn't find it!

I use zucchini as a pasta substitute, but instead of using a potato peeler, I shred it with the large hole side of a hand held grater. Blot it dry on paper towels, then quickly saute in a TB of olive oil over high heat (no more than 2-3 minutes) This is good with butter and parmesan and sensational with a thick meat sauce.

I have also thrown in a handful of Keto thin spaghetti to beef it up. I like spaghetti squash, but it can be a pain to cook one and they are so large.

The keto spaghetti is all right but not in any way like the real pasta we know and love. You just have to get used to it. I do question why they have to charge so much for an 8 oz box.

Jayburn
  #58   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 13:56

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Pastrallia lc pasta

Has anyone tried this kind, a little higher in carbs, 7 per serving, so I assume its more like the real thing.

I saw it at www.lowcarbfooddepot.ca
  #59   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 15:08

Plan: kISS/Curves
Stats: 319/263/165 Female 67"
BF:49.5
Progress: 36%
Default Pasta

The pasta brand I have used is Keto Spaghetti, Keto Macaroni and Keto shells. Yours is lower in carbs by a couple of grams. But I have to say, the Keto Spaghetti is really pretty good.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 23:10

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default I would kill for pasta!

Does anyone know of a low-carb pasta that actually TASTES like pasta and you don't need to cash in your 401k to buy 4 ounces?
I thought whole wheat pasta and spinach pasta was ok for Low-carbers, but was reading all the packages in the store today and they are just as high in carbs as the semolina ones. What say you?