Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 19:48

Plan: CALP
Stats: 191/187.0/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Not losing inches or weight

Hey there! I'm a newbie who has been LC'ing since April 1, 2003 and really could use some support!

My weight loss has been slow. I lost 4.5 pounds during Induction, but weeks 3-5-1/2, I have lost nothing. Believe it or not-the weight loss part doesn't bother me-but I don't seem to be losing inches either..anywhere! This concerns me more than the weight loss because i walk/run for an hour 3-4 times per week. My carb count is usually between 20-25 grams per day. A couple of days, I splurged to 35, but for the most part-I'm consistent and eat no sugar or white flour. I just started taking supplements and drink 6-8 glass of water per day.

I know I'm on the right track as my energy level is high and I have decreased apetite. Also, I had my blood work done after 4 weeks (I know-too early) but I am pleased some of numbers have gone down already.

Before After
Total 167 210
HDL (good) 32 47
LDL (bad) 91 140
VLDL 43 22
Trigly. 215 110

Has anyone out there had similiar results i.e. no or slow weight and inches loss, but everything else is track. Should I start limiting certain foods like cheese or the Atkins bars at this early stage? Thanks for your advice!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 19:56
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I would definately dump the bars and see if that works. Many people have stated that they stall from those things. I use them only about once a month-so it hasn't really affected me. Also, caffiene seems to bother some people too-in case you drink coffee.

You might want to post a couple of days worth of menus to see if we can find anything that might cause you problems. The standard wisdom on this board is to get 5-10% of your calories from carbs, 65-70% from fat and the rest protein. This formula works for me.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 21:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/138/120
BF:
Progress: 28%
Smile

Hi - I've had a pretty slow loss, although I have lost inches (I'm exercising at Curves 4 days a week). Paleoanth is right about getting rid of the bars (and maybe cutting down on cheese, nuts and sweetners) and see how that affects things. Posting on Fitday for a few days might shed some light too.
But I know how you must feel. I know I get pretty impatient - I want the miracle weight loss! - and sometimes feel discouraged. But, like you, I've also noticed that I seem to have more energy and general well being eating this way. Plus just losing my sugar addiction is worth alot! I'm sticking with it cuz I think it is going to benefit me in the long run.
Good luck to you!
Waldorfmom
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 21:55

BF:

Thanks for both of your replies. I think you are right about the Atkins bars. I usually have 1-2 bars per day, or 1 bar and 1 Atkins shake per day. I usually have the bar in the morning and another in the afternoon because I exercise right after work. and they are convenient. Do you know what it is about the bars that make people stall?

I have been one diet or another for many years. Last year around this time, I was on a low fat eating plan and also using a weight loss medication called Xenical prescribed by my doctor. It prevents the absorbtion of fat in your body. I lost about 11 pounds but I stopped the food plan and stopped the medication in December 2002.

I don't think my body knows what to do with all the fat I'm eating on this plan. But-I plan to stick with it! I'll let you know how everything turns out. Thanks for the advice.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 05:51
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Ah!

Being a perpetual dieter can also affect weight loss. Your body may very well be healing itself before it feels comfortable in dumping weight. Many low fat diets cause people to not only lose fat, but also muscle mass. Low carb diets actually promote muscle growth and limit loss of muscle. Your body is more than likely busy getting healthy and replacing muscle! This will cause the scale to not move for a while.

Definately dump the bars and also be patient with yourself. Once your body heals itself, I bet the weight just starts coming off.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 16:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223.5/192.5/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Those atkins bars are the devil!

I tested myself with ketostix right after having done an eggfast to get past a stall and they were purple, deep ketosis. Then I ended up moving in with my parents and through the process of packing all my stuff, I had to live on those bars basically for a couple days. Soon as I checked my ketosis again, it read barely a trace. I think those things affect the majority of people when you eat them more than about once a week. Definitely get rid of those and all other atkins candy bars etc. The atkins shakes however (the powders) aren't bad. They don't have many carbs naturally and I don't think they contain whatever makes the stalls happen from the bars.

Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 09:56

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

Hey Seminole, just for the heck of it, put your intake into Fitday.com and see how many calories you are taking in. Just give it a go to get an idea of what your calorie intake is. Is it possible that you are eating too much? Some people say not to worry about calories, but for me, that would be the perfect strategy to not lose any fat. I'd stall for months at a time, even with no carbs, if my calorie intake was above 1700 a day (even with working out.) Everyone is different, though. Maybe some tweaking and experimenting will help you to nip this stall in the bud.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 19:36

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Darn:(

I have been such a good girl lately..but tonite I took my daughter out for dinner....I ordered a good thing...egg foo young no gravy...and a glass of red wine...but then I thought boneless garlic spare ribs...no problem!!!!!! They came deep fried with batter on them...I wasnt sure what to do???? They were expensive I had them long ago...they had no batter Well white stix for me for a few days...Im so sad
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 21:31

BF:

Thanks Orzabelle! I recently started using Fitday and plugged a fews day in. My calorie intake was anywhere between 1800 to 2200. I read somewhere in another forum that your intake should be 10-12 times your present weight. At 186 lb, that would mean between 1860-2232. I'm honestly surprised I haven't lost more inches/weight. Before I started this plan, I ate so much sugar and white flour, low fat this-low fat that, I would think any significant reduction in carbs would make me lose more.

I plan to hang in there for the long run though. I enjoy having so much energy and a reduced appetite. If I eliminate the lo-carb bars, that should be about 350-400 calories per day. If that doesn't help-I might do a little more experimenting. Thanks!