Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 09:45

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 187/186/155
BF:
Progress: 3%
Unhappy Chocoholic struggling

I am a severe chocoholic and only on day two of the Atkins diet...I am now getting a headache and thinking about chocolate constantly. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 10:30
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Don't give in to the cravings, one taste will only make it worse.
Some of the headaches may also be coming from caffiene withdrawals if you recently stopped soda or coffee. Drink lots of water.

I've had success with using chromium for cravings.

Other people swear by L-glutamine.

I've been taking L-glutamine also but not for cravings and I haven't noticed any additional help from that.

I sometimes take an extra chromium at night with dinner if I feel I need it, my multivitamin has some chromium in it but sometimes not enough.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 10:50
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Eat a piece of protein or maybe some cheese. That might help a little.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 12:29
Registered Member

Plan: Suzanne Summers/Atkins
Stats: 240/250/145
BF:
Progress: -11%

My name is Cindy and I am a CHOCOHOLIC. I can not go more than a few days without chocolate. Inorder for me to not do a big binge, I allow myself a surgar free chocolate candy when I just could not stand it any longer. But be careful, I could eat the whole bag. At first I HAD to have chocolate and would eat 2-3 peices at a time. THen as my system detoxed, I found that the physical cravings slowly diminished. I can go days with out chocolate but I know that once I eat a peice, I MUST use my will power to not eat more.

Although this is not Atkins Induction, sometimes you just have to make allowances so you do not drop the new woe and blow the diet.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 13:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/147,4/132
BF:???
Progress: 50%

oh boy - good to see that Iīm not the only one with with "chocolate" issues here....

itīs my fifth day today on induction and Iīm dying as well, plus my big "disadvantage" is: Germany has got no Atkins products what so ever and all the chocolate bars available (no matter at health stores, supermarkets or bodybulding supplement shops) are FULL of carbs.... so no 2carb belgian chocolate like atkins offers! So if you are living in the US go ahead an order them, you ARE allowed to eat them on induction, check the webpage www.lowcarb.com! Donīt punish yourself, cause honestly, being hocked on chocolate is just about as being hocked on smoking!

Anyway, I could not hold it today, and bought a very very small bar of diabetis chocolate (made with fructose - I know itīs not allowed - but all diabetis products are made with fructose out here).

I had ONE bite and in order to resist temptation, I threw away the rest of it while walking home....

So I still have a choco problem, but I found a good way to substitue my cravings for "sweets" - by cooking carb free jello in various tastes and it helps a great deal! Try eating a bowl of jellow!

But as I said, if you are in the States - donīt kill yourself,but order Dr. Atkins chocolate!

Love
cat
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:20

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Another Chocoholic Here...

And though I am on Week 3 of Induction, I allow myself one of the larger sized Carbolite DARK chocolate bars every other day. I know it will slow me down, but I need to accept that.

Also, Trader Joe's has them for 1.59 each! My health food store sells the little ones for that price! The big ones are te size of a regular Hershey bar I think.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:20

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Another Chocoholic Here...
And though I am on Week 3 of Induction, I allow myself one of the larger sized Carbolite DARK chocolate bars every other day. I know it will slow me down, but I need to accept that.

Also, Trader Joe's has them for 1.59 each! My health food store sells the little ones for that price! The big ones are te size of a regular Hershey bar I think.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:44

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking chocolate

Hi Cat, sugar free chocolate is yummy, yes, but it is full of malitol, which can cause stomach upset. Try making your own chocolate treats when induction is over. I have a freezer full but hardly eat them any more. After a few months you get over the craving for sweets. Boy, never thought I would say that!

DANDR has good receipe for truffles. I add ricotta cheese to up the protein. Also very good with unsweetened coconut added. These are much better than bought and no malitol.

Good luck, HL

#9   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 15:00

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sugar is a hard thing to break... Chocolate is not what ur craving... if i think u have ot have a bite of chocolate... buy soem bakers unsweetened chocolate. nibble onit when u get the craving... i can assure u chocolate will never taste the same... also there are some low carb treats u can make... melt 1/2 a peice of unsweetened chocolate and add a pack of splenda and a couple table spoons of heavy cream whip up adn wala chocolate flavored snack... all legal 6 carbs with 2 fiber so total of 4 carbs... sure helped me get thew my chocolate cravings.. i wouldnt eat it everyday...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 02:27

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Pure cocoa powder helps me keep the chocolate monster at bay. You can make it into a drink, mix it with cream or sour cream and a little sweetener, or blend it with butter and sugar free peanut butter to make a fantastic chocolate spread.

Keep checking the diabetic chocolate cat28. I found diabetic chocolate made with sugar alcohols in Riga!

Robert