Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default New here

Hi all,
I have just found this area and am thrilled, everyone seems so supportive. I have been reading some of the posts, and I think this is where I want to be.

I have been trying to stay true to Atkins for about a month now, but am finding it difficult with my social life...I am often out for lunch and suppr, and make trips over to the mainland to visit friends. This week, I have committed to staying home and getting refocused..and hopefully will make that two weeks...it should give me a good start...again!!!! I quit eating meat about 12 years ago, I was having trouble digesting it, and it was making me sick...so it is also a challenge to get enough portein in with out beans etc. I am eating small amounts of meat, and so far so good...some days less than others and the protein count is quite low. Have never had a problem with fat though...that goes down quite nicely..lol

I lost about 80 pounds 25 years ago or so with the original Atkins book...without any difficulty...but was a major carnivour back then...ate mostly meat...little bits of veggies usually in the way of salad, cheese and eggs...but over the years, just gained and gained. About 13 years ago, resorted to a gastroplasty...that is when my trouble with meat of any kind started, and that kept the weight down for a number of years..but as usual I figured out how to gain again...the 8 months ago, hurt my back...have been laying around since then gaining more weight and got up to 240.
By this time, with my back they way it is, had trouble bending, breathing etc...and knew it was time to do something.

Then I found the forum, not even sure how..and here I am....needing lots of support and people to chat with that feel the same way I do...I need some control and I need to lose weight. I have to say, most of my friends are not even a little overweight...and they are supportive, but just don't get it...they are skinny...truly little people and complaining that they need to lose weight...I know it is all subjective, but I have to say that it irritates me when they do it in front of me...sometimes I feel it is just aimed at me...but on the other hand, these are people that I have known my whole life...and they would never do anything to hurt me...

Anyway, enough...my little intro turned into much more...sorry for rambling on.... I hope I have found a place where I can make some friends and find some support...

Thanks for reading waaaaay down here to the end.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 11:27

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Default hi!

Welcome...you've found a wonderful online community full of others like yo just waiting to offer support! Happy Friday!

Nicole
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 15:30

Plan: SP/Atkins hybrid
Stats: 224/192/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Welcome DarB!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 16:34

Plan: M&E no cheese no cream
Stats: 286/277.8/175 Female 170 cms
BF:130/126.1/80 KILO
Progress: 7%

Hi Darb! Welcome to the forum all the way from Ireland!
I understand your problem with your social life, but once I really knew the difference, how well I feel with Atkins and how sluggish I feel when I eat carbs, I have no more problems with making clear what I can and cannot have, also when I'm eating with others. it's my body and my life and it doesn't hurt others when I drink a big glass of water when they take a beer!

I wish you lots of success with the diet - my husband has the same trouble with his stomach as you have, but does very well with minced meat, minced chicken etcetera, maybe a tip for you??

cheers
Willeke

Last edited by willeke : Fri, May-02-03 at 16:35.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 16:50

Stats: 125/125/125 Female 62
BF:1/1/1
Progress: 51%
Default Hello!

Welcome to a new WOL (took me a few days to figure out, but that means way of life).
I'm new too - this is my 7th day of induction, and I can't believe how easy it is! The craving for carbs went away quickly (and I was a major carb-oholic!), and I'm enjoying foods I have been afraid to touch for years :-)

I can't believe I'm eating butter and steak! Yeah!

I hope your second day goes as well as your first, and you find that this WOL is easy to fall into.

:-)

Twitch
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 19:15

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%
Hello DarB,

Glad to have you with us.

This is my first time ever doing LC.

I was afraid of it years ago.

Wish I had, I wouldn't have had sooo much to lose.

"LOW FAT MADE ME FAT"
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 16:06

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

Hi

Welcome aboard and congrats for coming back to this WOL!

I'm sure you will love it around here, everyone is so wonderful and helpful they are a great support!

Fiona
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 04:26

Plan: CAD
Stats: 434/397/170 Female 69"
BF:50%
Progress: 14%
Default Glad to meet you, Dar!

HI Neighbor (I live about an 1 1/2 hours south of you)! So glad to meet you. Thank you for sharing your words, you are doing so well, I am so proud of you. Do not feel alone in this process, as there are many of us here... feel our support...

Take Care of Yourself.

#9   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 21:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284/256/140
BF:too much
Progress: 19%
Default Hi there DarB

Welcome to the new way of life and what a adventure it will be.
I know whattcha mean about the "Skinny People " complaining that they are too fat or they need to lose weight, I have been around that my whole life and it to made me feel uncomfortable until I decied to do something about it. Now I feel I can take on the world, of course there are day that I dont fee that way but thats when I come to this fourm get the support I need to keep going.

Keep reaching for your goals and never give up!!
Stephanie
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 18:42

Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%
Smile

Thanks for your kind words charsangel...I appreciate them. I am very pleased with the replies I have receive, don't feel so lonely about the weight issue anymore...my friends just don't understand, and a couple of them have a "problem" with weight...things pop out of their mouths without them even being aware of it.
Feel free to visit my journal anytime you like...I was looking for yours to reply, so hope you see this.