Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 15:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/134.8/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Coconut Oil

Is anyone eating/cooking with coconut oil? I am reading that it is good for your metabolism. Wondered what real folks thought or experienced with it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 17:52

Plan: montignac
Stats: 126/123/115
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default oil

Actually I was wondering about soybean oil. Any comments?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 05:06
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

From what I've read, soybean oil = trans fats, because it's highly processed and damaged
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 14:49
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I know Lessara has been adding coconut oil to her diet and she's been enjoying the results from it.

I've looked for it, but haven't found it around here, have to go to the big city I guess.

Most soybean oils have been processed and therefore have trans fatty acids, damaged fats in them, making them unhealthy.

Dr. Enig has done a lot of research showing the benefits of coconut oil.

Beth
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 04:59

BF:

I have never seen it in a store, but if you shop online there are plenty of places that offer it. I am just holding off till I get a bit of feedback on if it really helps. One place is sending me a sample portion for $1 handling. Can't wait to use it to make my Atkin's muffins or l/c french toast.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 06:36

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi, I've been using virgin coconut oil from coconutoil-online.com. They'll send you a small sample for FREE, no handling charge, and their oil is very pleasant with a very mild coconut taste . I cooked chicken in it and added a small amount of crushed pecan pieces and it was very good!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 01:39

BF:

That is the same place I am getting the sample from for $1. They said that due to the huge amount of requests they have gotten from people for the free sample, they are not sending them to everyone that asks. You have to give them reason for wanting it, and then the sample is not a sure thing. But they do guarantee a sample if you pay the $1, which if you do decide to place a regular order later, will be deducted. I think that as long as I like the taste of the oil I am going to order it, I can't wait to try it.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 03:30

BF:

Wow, didn't know they were charging now but there's been a lot of talk on various LC boards about coconut oil so I guess they can't afford to be giving it away. I like their oil (I haven't tried anyone else's), hope you do too.
Elaine
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 12:09

BF:

How long have you been using coconut oil? Do you feel any differnce using it? My metabolism is about as reved up as a sloth, so am hoping for any little bit of help. Plus I LOVE coconut. No sacrifice to switch to something that tastes good! But I can't really complain about taste now, I use olive oil or butter every day. I really feel sorry for people who try to live on low-fat diets.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 03:49

BF:

I haven't been using it that long (3 weeks??), I have been putting it in my protein shakes and did make some Atkins brownies with it. I like the taste, haven't noticed any loss using it but have been reading that if you are low carbing and trying to lose, that virgin coconut oil should REPLACE some of your fats, not be added on top of them. I know Protein Power and Body Rx doctors recommend it. As the experts say, YMMV.
Elaine