Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 13:23
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I am somewhat bigger than you are, and I exercise regularly (45 minutes to an hour five days a week). I think that if I were eating what you are eating I would gain weight -- at a minimum I know that I would not lose weight. Can you cut out some of the cream/sweets/high calorie snacks? I very occasionally eat cream as a treat, but I eat it knowing that it will stall my weight loss. If I snack after dinner, it also totally stalls my weight loss. I make sure to eat enough at dinner that I am not hungry later in the evening.

You might try entering what you are eating into fitday.com to see exactly how many calories and how many grams of carbs are in your daily diet. I noticed that someone said to try to 10x to 12x times your weight in calories. In my opinion, that rule does not apply to people over 200 pounds. I think trying for 10x to 12x your goal weight is more realistic. We don't have to count calories on Atkins, but calories do count.

You also might try posting your question and typical menu in the Triple Digits Club (listed under lowcarb support focus groups) so that people of similar weight to you are more likely to see it.

This is a typical daily menu for me:

Breakfast: cottage cheese with some blueberries or strawberries

Lunch: large salad (spinach or lettuce, red pepper, cucumber, whatever else is around), meat, cheese, egg and/or tunafish on top of the salad, homemade olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing. Sometimes I put half an avocado on the salad if I am particularly hungry.

Snack (occasional -- not every day): Some nuts or a piece of cheese or a piece of meat or a few more berries or a small piece of melon or a sliced up cucumber.

Dinner: Small salad with olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing; meat, fish, or chicken; cooked vegetable with butter on top.

Lots of plain water through-out the day.

On weekends I often have a bigger breakfast -- an omelet or scrambled eggs -- and I am more likely to snack on weekends than on workdays.