Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 19:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Cool Beef Enchilada Casserole- Yum!

Hi all,

Thought I'd share this. It was yummy. I took a regular recipe off of an old recipe-card subscription I have, and made it low carb. It totally cured my craving for Mexican food. (ECC listed next to ea. ingredient.)

Enjoy! And let me know if you try it!

Beef Enchilada Casserole
1 pound ground beef
1 recipe taco seasoning (see below-- it is a lot less carbs than envelopes at store) (8 EEC)
3 low carb tortillas (I used La Tortilla, plain) (9 ECC)
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack/Cheddar Cheese combo (12 ECC)
1 can (10 oz.) Enchilada Sauce (lowest carb you can find- I used Old El Paso- mild-red) (13.5 ECC)

Preheat oven to 350F. Cook beef in skillet until cooked throughout and crumbly. Remove from heat. Drain and discard liquid. Add taco seasoning to meat. Mix Well

Spray a 2 qt. square (or 8" round) baking disk with Pam or similar. Arrange 1 1/2 of the tortillas on bottom. You'll have to cut them and get creative with shapes to mostly cover the bottom. But 1 1/2 should do it. If not, increase carb content accordingly if you add tortilla(s).

Spread beef on top of tortillas. Layer 2 cups of cheese on top of beef. Arrange the rest of the tortillas as before, on top of cheese. Pour enchilada sauce on top.

Bake, uncovered, until tortillas are soft and juices bubble (about 25-35 minutes).

Remove from oven and turn off. Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top. Return to hot oven just until cheese melts (5 minutes or so).

Allow to cool a bit. Serve with dollop of sour cream and shredded lettuce if desired.

Total carbs: 42.5. Makes 4 large or 6 medium servings (7 to 10 ECC each- not including sour cream or lettuce).

Homemade Taco Seasoning (tastes a lot like Lawry's- uses same ingredients)

4 1/2 t. paprika (3.15 ECC)
1 t. cumin (.7 ECC)
1/2 t. oregano (.15 ECC)
1 t. chili powder (.5 ECC)
1 t. onion powder (1.6 ECC)
1 t. salt
1 t. Splenda (.5 ECC)
1/2 t. garlic powder (.9 ECC)
1 t. Atkins Bake Mix (.25 ECC)
1/2 t. cocoa powder- baking type (.33 ECC)
Total Recipe:8.08 ECC

Jill in Phoenix, AZ
Sponsored Links