Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #8   ^
Old Today, 07:30

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

This is a noteworthy bit from the above article:
Quote:
Not Eating Enough Protein

Even when not taking prescription GLP-1s, getting enough protein can be a game-changer for weight loss because it builds muscle and is the most satiating of the three macronutrients.

But when someone takes a weight loss medication, protein becomes even more important. “It’s critical to eat enough protein to maintain skeletal muscle,” said Elizabeth Sharp, MD, a board-certified internal medicine physician and CEO of Health Meets Wellness. “If you lose weight but lose too much muscle, you can actually end up with a higher body fat percentage after weight loss.

A 2024 systematic review supports this, finding that semaglutide was highly effective at lowering body weight but also caused noteworthydecreases in lean body mass, which includes everything except fat.3

But the drugs themselves make it very difficult to eat much protein. They deal with less nausea if the food they eat is primarily refined starches, which given their inability to eat much may not result in excess blood sugars (but that depends a great deal on how well they metabolize blood sugars to begin with)

The protein that they can manage to keep down - it's got to be extremely lean. And definitely can't eat enough to support the amount of muscle they developed by carrying around all the excess body weight for years.

So there they are not eating much at all.

Very minimal fats because dietary fat is one thing that really doesn't sit well at all in an ozempic stomach and often leads to vomiting (repeatedly), so they very likely aren't getting enough/all essential fatty acids.

Not enough enough protein to maintain muscle mass.

And for all their talk about eating fibrous veggies - they can't eat much of those either, since fiber takes longer to digest, takes up more room in their stomach - which let's face it the stomach size does not contract at all with these drugs. They work purely by delaying stomach emptying. Multiply that by the way that fiber slows down digestion.

Given how sick they tend to feel on it, I'm surprised that anyone can tolerate using the GLP-1 drugs as long as they do. I honestly think they're just being blinded to how awful it makes them feel by the decreasing numbers on the scale - "It's worth it" It reminded me of a quote I read years ago (I had to look it up, because I thought it was from a TV show - turns out it's from The Devil Wears Prada):

Quote:
Emily : Andrea, my God! You look so chic.
Andy Sachs : Oh, thanks. You look so thin.
Emily : Really? It's for Paris, I'm on this new diet. Well, I don't eat anything and when I feel like I'm about to faint I eat a cube of cheese. I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Despite the claims that obesity is now considered to be a disease that can be controlled by drugs, it goes back to the old way of thinking that the obese are personally responsible for allowing themselves to become fat (You just need to push away from the table sooner and get some exercise!), they're still expected to suffer for the sin of allowing themselves to become obese -

Take this drug that makes you feel like you have a persistent case of stomach flu, and you won't be able to eat so much, you glutton!