Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-15, 13:48

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Ratios of carbs, fat, protein?

Recently I tried an experiment of adding more fat (mostly coconut oil) to my diet, hoping it would be helpful in reducing hunger & weight. It didn't go well; cramps, diarrhea, weight gain. So I went back to my regular LC diet.

As I thought about it I realized I know nothing about the ratio of carbs/fat/protein. One article I found on-line suggested a ratio of 20% carbs, 65% fat, and 15% protein. Another, a nutrient calculator, suggested that for a 2000 calorie diet (number picked at random – I have no idea how many calories I eat) the ratio for a very low carb diet should be 10% carbs, 45% fat, and 45% protein. That averaged out to a per day allowance of 50g carbs, 100g fat, and 225g protein. It also showed a plate divided into 3 areas for carbs, fat, and protein.

First off, I eat 20g or less (my goal is 10g) of carbs per day – that 50g would shoot my BG sky high.

But my main question is, how do you figure the percentages that make up the ratio? I don't eat separate carbs, fats, & protein – I don't think anyone does. I eat lots of eggs cooked in butter, 80/20 hamburger, beef roasts, low carb hot dogs, canned fish, a wee bit of cheese and cream (not daily), occasionally bacon, lettuce with homemade olive oil dressing, a few other veggies, no fruit except for an occasional treat – you know, the average very low carb diet.

Can someone explain how to calculate the percentages in simple language? Math is not my strong suit!

Or maybe someone will tell me it doesn't matter? That would be nice!
Sponsored Links