Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 05:02

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%
Lightbulb Myo/fascial/dermal adhesions and fibro

I've decided to open a new thread regarding myo/fascial/dermal adhesions. I'm riddled with them (was--getting much much better) and I kinda feel like an 'expert' regarding them. I personally feel they are actually the 'root' of fibromyalgia. If the muscle/fascia/skin are all glued together then the muscle can't get oxygen=too much lactic acid=pain/cramps.

First, a description of what it is:

For those who aren't familiar with myo/fascial/dermal adhesions it is where your skin, fascia (thin membrane between the skin and muscle and also wraps around and supports some muscle), and the muscle tissue all 'grow' together. Ideally the muscle is wrapped in and or surrounded by fascia much like an elastic nylon sock on your foot. Your foot can move freely within the sock, but the sock 'supports' your foot. Now imagine you've just put a light moccasin on top of the socked foot, that's the skin. You could pinch the moccasin and pull it away from the foot a little without getting the sock underneath. Or you could pinch the moccasin a little deeper and get the sock to also pull away from the foot, or pinch it deeply enough and you get all three, moccasin, sock, foot. Now imagine a large drop of glue between the moccasin and the sock. Now when you pull the moccasin, you also get the sock even though you didn't mean to pinch it and the sock no longer moves as freely within the moccasin because it is glued in one spot, but the foot still can move freely within the sock because it isn't glued to the sock. Now imagine glue between the foot and the sock--now the foot no longer moves freely because it is glued and if the sock is also glued to the moccasin when you move the foot you'll see the moccasin wrinkle where the drop of glue is.
You'll see the same thing on you in the form of 'pocks', pockets, or creases. If you try to move the pocket or straighten the crease it'll hurt like mad! You may notice that skin on other areas will freely move if you lightly press down and circle the skin, but the adhered place will not move at all. If you have a pet, notice how no matter where you grab it's skin, it pulls freely away from the body. Some skin areas fit 'tighter' than others, but all should be able to be lightly pinched and pulled away from the 'meat'. If you happen to have fascial/dermal adhesion only (not involving the muscle), then if someone lightly pinches you it'll hurt a lot more than it should, and you may bruise very very easily. Also pinching a fold of skin and 'rolling' it will produce (in addition to a lot of pain) an interesting sensation of popping bubble wrap.
Our muscles get oxygen from the blood supply. Lactic acid (a combination of hyaluronic acid, hydrogen, plus some other minor components) can only form in an anaerobic condition (no oxygen). It cannot remain in an aerobic (oxygen rich) condition. The more we move our muscles the more blood/oxygen they get. If we use the muscle too much and it uses up the oxygen too quickly then we get lactic acid formation which results in failure and pain (that 'burning' sensation). Good circulation will quickly restore the aerobic atmosphere and the pain goes away and we regain full use of the muscle as the lactic acid unforms. If our circulation isn't so great, then the pain/fatigue lingers and if the circulation is bad enough the muscle stays in pain and may stay in a contracted state (spasm). As long as a muscle is in spasm, it isn't getting proper blood supply. If the blood supply is affected severely enough, then there is muscle fiber death and that fiber cannot be restored.
Now, if myo/fascial/dermal adhesion is present, then the muscle obviously cannot move properly to maintain good circulation, which causes a lactic acid build-up which leads to spasm/cramping. If there is a lot of adhesion there will frankly be a lot of pain. But if the spasm/pain continues for a long period of time eventually our wonderful brain will fool us into thinking all's well by blanking out the superficial pain with brain-produced chemicals that mask the lingering pain. But the body 'knows' the spasm/pain is still there, only now it's moved to the subconcious level, where I believe it interferes with our sleep. We are still unconciously aware there is a lot of pain still there and I feel that's where the fibro sufferer's trouble sleeping begins. Then the poor quality of sleep leads to a whole host of other problems...and so on.
From the many books I've read and internet research I've done I can tell that adhesions are acknowledged as one of the symptoms of fibro, but after battling this thing for so long (and winning, I might add) I personally feel it may actually be largely responsible for launching the symptoms. (Which came first, the chicken or the egg, thing). Did the adhesions start the cycle or did the sleep disturbance start it? Then there's the myriad other symptoms we have which in large part can also be attributed to high cortisol levels (stress), too much insulin, and poor quality sleep. I have chosen to attack my fibro with massage therapy, nutrition (low carbing), and natural/herbal therapy. The only chemicals I take are for diabetes and high blood pressure, but I've been able to reduce and/or eliminate some meds over time. My goal is to become med free.

I'd like to hear from other fibro sufferers out there regarding my ideas/observations....

(PS: I think because my adhesions are so wide-spread and tend to reoccur that it may be some kind of autoimmune response.)
Sponsored Links