Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 14:20
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Anyone watching "My 600 Pound Life"?

It's a good show, on TLC. There's only 4 episodes, but do a search, they replay them frequently, at least in my midwestern USA market.

"TLC's My 600-lb Life documents the seven-year journey four individuals undertake to escape obesity and regain control of their lives. Watch My 600-lb Life Wednesdays ~ 10/9c"

So what's interesting about this show is it was 7 years in the making. You are not watching someone's few month's of struggle without ever learning what eventually happens to them, because the show gets cancelled. Each hour show is devoted to one individual, and in that hour, they show you their entire 7 year journey, with all the ups and downs.

Last night's show was Donald, (spoiler alert) who began at 675 pounds and decided to have weight loss surgery. They showed how his weight and life changed from year one, to year 2, to year 3...something from every year. He got really sick with Guillian Barre syndrome (not diet or surgery related, just coincidental bad luck) and lost mobility. At one point, he was down to an astounding 200 pounds, but began to reward himself with food and went back to his old eating ways while struggling with the disease, and by the end of the show, was back up to about 450 pounds. But he at that point, had finally had an epiphany and had started dieting and exercising on his own, and the scale was going back down again. He's determined to get out of the wheel chair and walk again. His head seemed in the right place to succeed on his own at the end.

The scene from this show that struck me the most though, for those of you who watched it, was his very obese caregiver mother, in his hospital room when he was down to about about 238 pounds, saying she came and stayed with him all day because otherwise he wouldn't eat, and he needed to eat, he was too skinny. She then force spoon fed him Fruit Loops!. And THEN!!!! his lunch tray arrived, and she commented on how he was supposed to be on a low carb diet, and it wasn't a low carb tray of food the hospital was providing. (And it was pretty shocking. There was a large danish of some type, AND a piece of poundcake. A very unappetizing plain hamburger on a bun and what looked like a mound of mashed potatoes. She pulled the bun off and asked her son if he wanted some of the meat patty, so I guess she does know what LC is... but it was so confusing. One moment she's talking to the camera, gesturing at the bakery items on the tray and saying "can you believe they'd bring him this", and the next, she's feeding him Fruit Loops? WTH?

The thing I found the most poignant about his story though, was that he never got to experience the wonders and delights of living in that 200 pound body. He was down to about 400 lbs when he got severe GB, and back up to about 400 pounds when he finally reached the point where the doctors were saying he was 'recovered' from the disease... all that while bed or motor-chair bound. He never had a chance to experience what a 'normal' life at a 'normal' size is like while he was there.
Sponsored Links