Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 11:15

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default A comparison of fats from NutritionData.com

I got to thinking about fats. I compared three kinds here and try to figure out why NutritionData says olive oil is strongly anti-inflammatory and beef suet is moderately inflammatory.

Here are the pages for each fat:
olive oil
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fats-and-oils/509/2
beef tallow
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fats-and-oils/482/2
beef suet
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/beef-products/3478/2

Now compare the inflammation factor figures of each. Olive oil scores 526, tallow -98 and suet -209. So what is the determining factor for inflammation? Let's see, is it cholesterol? No, since it's higher in tallow than in suet. Is it PUFA omega 6? No, since it's 3x-4x higher in olive oil than in the other two fats. Is it PUFA omega 3? No, since it's higher in suet than in the others. Is it the vitamins and minerals? No, since there's more vitamins in suet than in the other two. Is it protein? No, since olive oil contains zero while suet contains 1.5g/100g. So what is it then? It can only be one of two things, saturated fat or phytosterols.

I looked up phytosterols and that's some nasty stuff. I doubt that's what NutritionData base their inflammation scores on. No, I think it's all about saturated fat. Olive oil: 13.8g/100g; tallow: 49.8g/100g; suet: 52.3g/100g. But even then, the proportions don't match: 13.8/526, 49.8/-98, 52.3/-209. So what's the determining factor? I dunno. Some guy at a desk, prolly.

But besides this inconsistent inflammation ladder on NutritionData, what do you think about olive oil now that you know that it contains more omega 6 and less omega 3 than beef suet, and that the o3/o6 ratio is greater (1:12.8) than either tallow (1:5.1) or suet (1:2.5)? Do you think it's still better?

That's right, beef suet has a o3/o6 ratio of 1:2.5

And they say beef fat has a bad PUFA ratio. And they say olive oil is better because it contains less saturated fat and more monounsaturated fat. By the way, for MUFA, there's more in olive oil than the other two. Maybe that's where the inflammation difference comes from. But I doubt going from 73g to 41g to 31 will bring the score down from 526 to -98 to -209 especially considering the PUFA numbers.
Sponsored Links