Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 07:07

Plan: EFGT/Nourishing Trads
Stats: -/-/- Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Unhappy Possible stomach ulcer

Hi all

I'm looking for some help/advice about my possible stomach ulcer.

I've been low carbing for 20 months now, and was feeling great on this WOE up til 2 months ago. I was going through a particularly stressful time at work (I have now left) and started getting intermittent stomach pain/soreness usually on an empty stomach.

I finally went to see the Dr in early December and she diagnosed a possible stomach ulcer (duodenal maybe). She put me on Lansoprazole, which I have been taking for nearly four weeks. I went back after 2 weeks and had a blood test for Helicobacter pylori and also a blood count. I have another appointment to see her on Monday morning for the test results.

However, since I last saw the Dr, over Christmas, despite taking the lansoprazole daily, I have had a nasty flareup with the pain and soreness, and I have woken twice in the early morning with bad stomach soreness. I have been taking additional antacids to help, and have now started to eat smaller meals more often - every 2-3 hours to help with the soreness.

Now, my questions are as follows:

1) I was under the impression that low carb diets (with restricted sugar and grains intake, etc) was supposed to help suppress H pylori. After over 1 1/2 years of low carbing, how come I have succumbed??

2) My pharmacist was surprised that I needed extra antacids on top of Lansoprazole. She thought that would be sufficient to control the acid production and pain. For the first three weeks I was taking this AFTER breakfast, then discovered it was recommended to be taken on an empty stomach. Could it be simply that I wasn't taking it properly?

3) What will a Blood Count show on a low carb diet? Should I be prepared for "unusual" results and a possible challenge from my Dr on my "unhealthy high fat/protein diet"?

Sorry this is quite long and involved. I wanted to get all the details down so any of you knowledgeable people could give me your opinions.

TIA

Katy
Sponsored Links