Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 23:33
Registered Member

Plan: very high fat diet
Stats: 185/185/185 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default very high fat diet

i originally posted this in south beach forum, but their a little fanatical over there so im transfering it here, basically a summary of my very high fat dairy diet; just wanted to see what people think about it since i havent shared this with anyone, btw ive been on this for over a year (im a senior ~ a university);
disclaimer: i dont do this for weight loss, but for health, im one of the skinny people that doesnt gain weight no matter what i eat, however since starting a high fat diet ive seen vast improvements in my muscle structure and health

"dairy is very, very important, but not because its somehow superior to meat, its not, its because its damn near impossible to find fatty-enough meat in a US meat section

the optimal human diet consists of about 80-90% animal fat, the rest is protein; this might come as a surprise to some people but this has roots in our evolutionary history, see before we were ever hunters, we were always scavengers, and what we scavenged on the savanna were for the most animal carcasses, not fruits and veggies...rotting animal corpses ; however, since we did not kill our own prey we always had second pickings after the carnivore was done with the meal, and usually we had to fight over the kill with other scavengers such as hyenas and vultures and also the carnivores such as lions, cheetahs etc. (this is where our amazing ability to throw rocks really shined); see the reason we walk upright not because we're hunters but because we're scavengers, we can see much farther than any animal by being able to climb trees and stand up on our back feet to view the surroundings, helping us find carcasses easier in a grassy savanna environment; this is also why there's a strong sexual selection for height, and why we find it attractive; anyways ill cut this anthropological reason short and get into the meat of things... literally

when a carnivore kills an animal it either eats it all or stashes it and guards it, most of the time we found a carcass the only things that were left were what the other animals couldnt get it; here comes the fun part, humans harvested the brains, the bone marrow, the tongue and the eyes, and whatever scrap meat was left on the bones, what this adds up to is fat, lots of it, to the tune of 80% of our diet with the rest being protein, so our diet was never high carb, but it was never high protein either... (history lesson: first human tools were developed to more efficiently crack open thick bones and animal skulls to get at the fat inside)

to sum all this up, we never evolved to eat alot of protein, and its deff not optimal to eat anything above 20% protein long term, especially when you have all the fat you want available to you; see my diet would undoubtedly be 90% pork fat, but the problem is i cant get my hands on so much fat in fat-phobic US where pigs are bred leaner to sell better to the misinformed masses that cut out their fat off the meat before they cook it, so i turned to the next best thing - dairy! unlike meat, you can get your hands on all the high-fat dairy you want, BUT there are a few issues and ill mention them.

here is my diet - full fat sour cream, light/heavy cream. yea thats IT, (i also take Vit D pills and Vit C, for reasons i dont have the space to go into here); those are the 2 things i eat every day for months and months, and guess what... never felt or looked better in my life; now ill explain why i dont eat cheese or drink milk.. with dairy, you want to get as much fat as you possibly can while getting as little protein and carbs as you can, this disqualifies cheese, milk, even half and half (too watery and low density),(dairy protein casein also has some specific negative aspects besides constipation that i wont go into here, but you can look it up yourself) optimal thing here would be HEAVY CREAM, the holy grail of a high fat diet, but unfortunately just about every heavy cram manufacturer decided to start adding Carrageenan to it, in fact im only able to find one brand of cream at all that doesnt have it, i consider myself lucky (if your not familiar with Carrageenan look it up, ill just say that this is something you DONT want to put into your body, EVER)

so let me break my diet down for you in calorie terms
its 75% animal fat, 50% saturated fat overall, about 10% carbs and about 10% protein (i know it doesnt add up to 100%, sue me); when you cant get your hands on tons of raw animal fat or good natural lard, this is as good as it gets, but when i move to a country where pigs are still pigs ill probably switch to pig fat (interesting fact: when the spaniards first brought pigs, cows and chickens to the mainland, the aztecs hated the taste of beef and chcken, but went ballistic over the taste of pork - it tasted exactly like the human sacrifices they were used to eating!! )
if anyone here is familiar with the Mongols, they conquered half the world on a diet of nothing except dairy and meat...and they were mostly lactose intolerant!! ironic

the Mongols didnt drink milk like people do today, they ate the cream or soured it into sour cream or made cheese, the history lesson is free on the house

cheers

Last edited by classic86 : Wed, Jan-23-08 at 08:06.
Sponsored Links