Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 11:52
Registered Member

Plan: Anything that works
Stats: 184/150/117
BF:45%/40%/15%
Progress: 51%
Default Calcium replacement/excretion and weight training

Yesterday I did my cardio--or should I say tried to do my cardio as normal (day three of Induction) and ten minutes into walking flat out on my treadmill I had calf cramps (horrendous) and had problems with my Weight lifting session which I go into depth about below. However, it got me thinking about the cramps and obviously this is the lack of calcium and potassium. I rectified the potassium and am taking around 340mg caclium per day in total. Recommended daily average is about 1000mg from some sources I read. I know a little about calcium absorption though and curiosity got the better of me. So I searched and surfed for an hour and read an article which this excerpt is extracted from. I continue below:

"Ketosis is a medical condition that occurs when fat is partially broken down into by products called ketones. In a "normal" diet, which is composed of reasonable percentages of protein, carbohydrate and fat, glucose calories become protein-sparing calories. In this manner, the carbohydrate consumed is adequate for all tissues and organs, including the brain and red blood cells to function.

During periods of starvation, when carbohydrate intake has been limited and glucose levels are low, organs and tissues, as well as the brain and red blood cells, get glucose from other sources. The liver has the ability to make glucose from non-carbohydrate sources. This process is called gluconeogenesis.

When other organs are asked to produce glucose over an extended amount of time, they can become weakened. Fat can also be used as a source of glucose. However, fat is not broken down completely, creating byproducts called ketone bodies. The composition of ketone bodies is acidic.

Using ketones as a source of energy is inefficient and will disrupt the acid/base balance in the body, which can lead to other health problems. Additionally, high protein foods, such as animal meats, are also very acidic in nature. The acidic environment present within the body can interfere with basic minerals that are also in the body, more specifically calcium. There is a high probability that the body will lose calcium if one chooses to follow this diet plan. Not only is osteoporosis a threat, but cardiac functions can also be hindered."

I see that Vitamin D is responsible for helping the body retain calcium in the body. We would normally get vitamin D from fish oils that we eat or from something like Cod Liver Oil. I take x2 capsules of this per day and always have. However, my query was that in a state of ketosis, if the gut or body is in an acid state--even if you took large calcium supplements would this really be absorbed by the bones or body anyway. On the Atkins diet for example we are allowed to eat cheese and take cream to a certain extent. I would have thought that these two sources alone would be adequate were calcium needs are concerned. Especially when the diet is so limited that often people on it will consume MORE cheese or cream than they would if they were not on the diet. However, we are still advised to take a calcium supplement (amongst all others) as it is well understood that ketosis upsets calcium absorption.

My concern is---even if you take a large proportion of calcium in the way of tablet form supplements on the Atkins diet, due to the poor absorption because of ketosis, it is my understanding that it may not be absorbed anyway and is therefore rebuffed onto the kidneys for excretion. The conditions have to be right within the body for calcium to be laid in bones. So even if you bombard yourself with high supplements could this not basically cause kidney problems in that sense is the question I asked myself? Also that due to the chemical balance in Ketosis in fact calcium in the bones starts to be leeched and excreted also?

I have already mentioned that my son is on steroids. So I know a great deal about bone density and calcium deficiency and the role that high cortisol levels play in leeching calcium from the bones. I have never given him calcium supplements, because the levels of cortisol dictate exactly how much calcium can be absorbed by the bones or body anyway and generally an excess is excreted by the kidneys and therefore this is the reason why elevated levels of cortisol basically canabilize the bones. That and the fact that it suppresses dhea's which are useful in helping to reverse this process. It also canibilizes muscle in the process and that is why so many people who are stressed with raised cortisol levels over a prolonged period of time or whom are on steroids are particularly prone to low bone mineral density if they are given high doses above the body's normal needs. Is the same not true them of a body that is in a continuous state of ketosis and acidic? I know that if I gave a calcium supplement to my son when he is over treated it would be a complete waste of time as the balance of hormones will just not allow it to be laid in the bones and it is all rebuffed onto the kidneys and excreted. Hence why many get kidney stones when taking steroids. So when I am thinking in depth about problems that can occur for him I am asking myself what difference is it when Ketosis can actually effect the same problem? I am concerned that even the calcium in the extra supplements that I take or anyone else takes during Induction is not really being laid in bone but all peed out due to the level of ketosis.

I doubt that many adults have had bone density readings on this diet. My son had one earlier this year. Is bone density was just under the average for his age, but then he is on relacement supposedly only. though sometims they over shoot the mark--they can also undershoot it and on those occasions he makes all the anabolic steroid in higher amounts (in fact can enter premature puberty if not controlled well which affects long term height) such as the dhea's and androstenedione and testosterone so in those periods his bones can recoup. But those on higher doses all the time are certainly bound for Osteoporosis and that is my concern about extending the Induction Phase of the diet on Atkins. Bone x-rays do not give the same readings as bone density scans and bone density scans are very expensive so few will have taken the precauctionary measure of having them. Atkins recommends the Induction phase of the diet for some two weeks but also says that if you wish to remain on the Induction phase for longer, that you can. My concern really is this...if I stay on this Induction phase of the diet for longer than two weeks "thinking" that I am safe because I am taking a daily supplement of calcium when in actual fact, it cannot be retained by my body or processed because of the acidic state and is excreted with other levels of calcium from my bones, I will never know about this unless I can afford a bone density scan. is there some way of testing the caclium excretion in the urine to find out exactly what the levels are coming out at different phases of the diet?

I don't intend staying on the Induction phase of the diet for any more than the two weeks because of my thinking on this matter and also because I feel my weight loss will occur anyway due to the level of activity that I pursue each week now. That and because I feel in lifting weights that you really do need carbs in higher quantities than 20 grams per day. I guess I am just trying to get my body to kick off with the weight loss and then I intend to move the the next phase and other phases when it recommends or sooner if I feel the need to.

I did weights for the first time yesterday (day three on Induction) and could simply not lift the weights that I lifted last week with ease. I do pyramid sets of 12,10,8,6 then 12 again followed by an isolation on a different exercise for 12 reps. Each rep has a minute rest inbetween. Normally when I do the reps, I step the weights up by 2lbs each time I move to the next set until I reach the 6 reps and then I take a minute rest and lift the next twelve with the same weight. This sends impulses to the brain and back to make the muscle work harder and normally come the second 12 reps in each set I get this surge of energy and can do all twelve no problem. Last night, I could only do 9 and I had to stop--could not get any further than that. So this diet does restrict your ability at the third in were weight lifting is concerned. I had a complete sense of failure and almost like I had taken a large step backwards to be honest. However, I had the sense to recognise that this is only day three and that supposedly I will get an energy boost. Obviously my body has not yet got the hang of calling upon the fat stores for fule instead of glycogen. Hopefully this will improve on my other sessions this week--wednesday and friday nights. I did think to report that finding to others though and I will keep you updated on how I go the rest of the week.

I'd be glad of a few comments from those of you who have a good physiological understanding of these processes to possibly have a discussion about that aspect.

Regards

Anne-Marie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blueangel.jpg (10.4 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links