Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 08:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/252/180
BF:
Progress: 15%
Talking Homemade Beef Jerky

I thought I would post for you all my recipie for Homemade Beef Jerky. It's great to have a ziplock baggie of this stuff in your desk at work for when you get some hunger pangs. I have three varieties, the hot, the medium hot, and the mild.

HOT:

1 Packet original flavor Jerky Seasoning Mix
1 Packet Jerky curing mix
4 Tbsp extremely finely diced Habanero Peppers (Seeds in for more heat, you may find Habanero Peppers in a jar with the pickles and peppers at your local grocery store)
2 Tbsp Liquid Smoke
˝ Cup Water
2 Pounds lean beef roast (raw)

Medium Hot:

1 Packet Jerky Seasoning Mix
1 Packet Jerky Salt
1 bottle Cayenne Pepper based Hot Sauce (Tabasco based sauce is too mild and has too overpowering a flavor)
2 Tbsp Liquid Smoke

Mild:

1 Packet original flavor Jerky Seasoning Mix
1 Packet Jerky curing mix
2 Tbsp Liquid Smoke
˝ Cup Water

WARNING: When dealing with Habanero peppers, it is best to wear thin latex gloves (the type the doctor uses) and NEVER allow juices from the peppers to come in contact with your eyes. I've ruined a pair of contact lenses after prepairing this jerky and not being able to wash the pepper off my hands.

Trim meat completely of fat and cut across grain into slices 1/8 inch thick. To aid in slicing meat thinly, freeze until ice crystals are formed.

Blend all ingredients except meat in small glass bowl. Put sliced meat into large glass bowl then pour marinade over the meat, thoroughly covering the meat. Cover and refrigerate overnight, stirring every hour or two. DO NOT USE A WOODEN SPOON WHEN STIRRING, THE PEPPER FLAVOR WILL FUSE INTO THE SPOON AND RUIN IT.

Preheat oven to lowest setting (preferably 110 F). Place several layers of paper towels on baking sheets. Arrange meat in single layer on prepared sheets and cover with additional toweling. Flatten meat with rolling pin. Discard towels and set meat on cookie cooling racks on a cookie sheet (or directly on cookie sheets). Let dry 4 to 6 hours (depending on temperature of oven). Once dried, put paper towels on a plate, put a layer of the meat on the paper towel, put another paper towel, and repeat until all the meat is stacked between paper towels. Allow this meat to cool for at least an hour (heat will form humidity in your ziplock bags) Then take the jerky and put it into your ziplock sandwich baggies, and store next to your TV, in your desk at work, or anywhere else you may be wanting a protien snack. Carbohydrate count should be around 0.

Let me know what you think
Sponsored Links