Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-05, 18:38
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Thumbs down Low-Carb Sanctimoniousness

We all have different amounts of success with diet, exercise, and weight loss. Lots of members on this site ask other members for assistance in determining why they are having trouble losing weight, help in tweaking their plan, and so on. This kind of support, help, constructive criticism, and tough love is what we're all here for.
I have made some good personal friends from this forum so I know well that the quality of people here is, generally, very high indeed. And I understand that when people have success, they want to share that success.

But sometimes, I see things on here that drive me crazy. So I'm going to vent them here in the War Zone.

Two things to always remember:
1. Every Body Is Different.
2. Everyone's Life Situation Is Different.

From those two things, let's get a little more specific.

What works for your body may not work for mine.
For those of you who have lost weight using low-carb techniques, congratulations. That's great. And now you are an expert on how you can lose weight. But you are not an expert on how I can lose weight, because I'm a whole other person and I am not you.
Some people here can just diet strictly and drop pounds without any exercise at all. Well, lucky you; for me, that never works, and it never will work. Some people can eat lots of artificial sweeteners with no problem, and others don't like them, or can't lose weight when they eat them. I don't expect you to do everything like me. Don't expect me to do what you do.
Example: "How dare you consider gastric surgery. You just need to drop your daily chewing gum and you'll lose weight. Gum-chewing stalls everyone!"

What works for your lifestyle may not work for mine.
Some people can work out for two hours every day and buy expensive specialty foods, and that's great. Some people have kids and a job and don't have much spare time or cash. Some people can eat the same foods every day for very long stretches of time, and some can't stand to do that. Some people can cook really well, some can't cook at all, and some have to travel a lot. We all have to come up with a plan that is realistic in the framework of our real lives.
Example: "You buy the cheap bulk chicken thighs? Don't you know they abuse and mock those chickens and kill them inhumanely? Why don't you buy Earthsong WhaleHarmony DolphinSafe Wholistic Chicken for $7.99 a pound like I do?"

Sometimes, people really aren't doing anything "wrong."
Drawing a further conclusion from the points above, just because someone isn't doing what you do doesn't mean they are doing it all wrong. If they chose a plan different from yours, that isn't wrong. Tweaking a plan isn't wrong either. And before you go sailing in to chastise people about not being "by the book" enough, try going some pages back in the discussion and see what's really going on.
Example: "OMG, how can you do Atkins?! Schwarzbein is *natural*!"

Why do you question other people's motivation?
I "want it enough," I'm "focused enough," I'm "trying hard enough," and I'm "sticking to it enough," thanks. If you think my difficulty in losing weight somehow equates to some kind of moral failing on my part or a lack of character, go away. If you require me to set my goals the way you set yours to prove to you that my thought processes are worthy enough, go away. If you think, in any way, that my problems stem from not adhering to your personal system/ritual/gris-gris, go away. Critiquing my personality is not "constructive."
Example: "Why haven't you signed up for my Egg & Spirulina Fast Challenge? I guess you just don't care about your body."
Sponsored Links