Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/210/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:39.5/38.8/25
Progress: 35%
Default Dr. Advises going off Atkins! Need advice

I've been on Atkins since July 14th, 2002. I've lost 15 lbs. so far, due to some overall changes in my health and beginning LCing. I deal with Anxiety & my MD and Counselor started me on some SSRIs several weeks ago, because we all agree that I have a biochemical component to my anxiety.

However, I've had severe reactions to all FOUR of the SSRIs they had me try - increased anxiety, irritability, aggitation, disturbing thoughts, racing thoughts, difficulty concentrating, etc. Last Friday I ended up in the ER at Kaiser because I was afraid of my thoughts and my behavior - the Psychatrist on-duty took me off the SSRI I was on and has been giving me two new medicaitons - on is Zyprexa (anti-psychotic) and Klonopin (sedative/anti-anxiety) This Psychatrist also advised me to stop taking all my herbal suppliments (I see a Naturopathic Physician) and to stop doing Atkins immediately.

I've done everything she asked, and I've tried to go back to eating a lot of carbs . . . but it's difficult! I decided to eat two "regular" dinners two nights in a row 1) 1/2 cup white rice with chicken chow yuk, 2) Bean & Cheese burrito (Large) . . . the following morning after the burrito I had major carb cravings!! But the thought of eating a bunch of carbs was revolting . . . because they don't sound good to eat & because I don't want to gain the weight back!!

So here (finally) are my questions:

1) Have any of you experienced anxiety/aggitation/irritability or headaches from doing Atkins? Did it only last during Induction, or for a month or so?

2) How should I best go about adding some carbs? I'm beginning to feel better (anxiety wise) since I've stopped the SSRIs and have been eating more carbs - but eating a bunch all at once seems to cause an insulin response & carb cravings. I would appreciate some advice on some foods I could introduce slowly throughout the day to up my carb intake. I think I'll try oatmeal for breakfast or as a morning snack - but what could I add for snacks/lunch/dinner that would help me keep my carbs fair-mid range.

3) How many carbs sould I add - should I go up only to 50-60g or as high as 100-150?

TIA for reading through this mess of confusion! Any advice and support is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links