Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 09:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/208/180 Female 5ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default High Cholesterol results Help

I had my cholesterol checked last week and it's not good. My cholesterol was 5.92, LDL 4.17, HDL 0.88, Chol/HDL ratio 6.73, triglycerides 1.92, my doctor says my cholesterol because of diabetes should be 2.5. How am I ever going to do this. She wants me to take Niacin time released and work up to 2000 mg per day, I've been told by the pharmacist that time released niacin can cause liver problems. So I started on lecithin, 2400 mg and chromium 400 mcg as that's also supposed to help cholesterol. I'm not sure what to do. I've been struggling so much with weight loss, I lose 4 lbs go up 2 lbs for the last few weeks I'm getting really discouraged. I've lost 20 lbs since June 4 but the last few weeks things have been real slow. I stay right around 20 grms of carbs per day and my calories range from 1800 to 2200 per day. I feel like I've lost a lot but the scale and measuring tape don't support it as much as I feel it should be showing. My clothes are getting looser and I can walk for 2 hours without being uncomfortable, I guess the progress is there but I want to see the numbers.

Also, in my tests, I had protein spilling into my urine which the doctor says could cause kidney failure down the road, anyone got info on what to do about this. Could this be diet related?

Please send me some layman's information and encouragement, I've been so rigid on this woe but now I'm getting worried about all this health stuff my doctor's telling me. Thanks all I couldn't do this without you guys!!!
Sponsored Links