Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 12:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/206/185
BF:
Progress: 70%
Angry Dietician says atkins is going to kill me.

I am so mad at these people. They just don't get it.

Today was my 6mo followup visit for my diabetes class. It started out ok I showed her my bloodwork with a 6.1 HBA1C and my 2 week bg log. She said everything looked great and I get an A+ for controlling my bg so well. Then she asked me how I was doing on their diet plan. I hesitated a minute and thought here we go. When I told her I was doing Atkins she looked at me like I had just crapped on the floor or something.

Then she said that is going to kill you. All the fat and protein is going to blow out your kidneys. All I could say to her was if this was going to kill me then why are my bloodwork numbers so good. She said it was just temporary results and things will get worse. She kept going on and on about all the protien so I asked her what was the maximum amount of protein a person could have in a day to be safe. She said 80g was all anyone should have. I asked her what scientific study made that recommendation so I could research it and she said that was what they were taught in class.

I could see we were headed into a argument so I just smiled and said that this was working for me and I was going to continue on with it until I croaked which would probably be long after her and I got up and walked out. I didn't even schedule the 1 yr followup visit.

The just don't get it. If they would be open minded enough to realise that everyone is different and not everyone can follow their recommended plan, then maybe more people might be able to control their health problems better by using alternative methods to theirs.

Sorry I just had to vent some frustration.
Sponsored Links