Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 17:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/200.25/128
BF:
Progress: 10%
Unhappy Gaining and Scared!

Please help me!

I am just a few days into starting my third week on Atkins. I have the 1999 and the new 2002 edition of his New Diet Revolution Revised and Updated books in addition to Laura Richards' book (can't remember the title exactly...but something like How to Get the Most Our of Your Low-Carb Diet); it is a great book.

Just to give you a little history. I am currently 53 yrs. and have been a yo-yo dieter since age 16. My top weight in my mid-twenties was 340 (I am a smidge under 5'4"). I have had great success and even greater set backs...tried everything from liquid protien, OA, to Weight Watchers, ad infinitum. I have been a practicing low-fat/low-calorie dieter for a decade. I have managed to keep below 300 lbs. (lucky me).

Eleven months ago, I started Weight Watchers (at 254 lbs.) and at 8 months into the program was down to 197.2; then I hit a four-month plateau and out of frustration/anger went on a few mini-binges--then would lose the binge weight and then binge...you get the picture.

The morning after one of those binges, I weighed and was back up to 208. I flipped on the TV and the Atkins infomercial was playing...(it was talkin' to me!). I immediately bought Atkins' book and instantly started the program. The first week I lost 10.75 lbs. I was ecstatic! I gained three of those pounds back the second week. I am ok with that because I know the weight loss was mostly water. However, even though I am doing everything I should be doing (exercising, drinking water, consuming vitamins/minerals, eating below 20 carbs. (most days between 5- 10), keeping a journal, watching for hidden carbs, trying to keep the fat to protein ratio within a proper limit, cutting back on cheese, not consuming diet pop, etc.), I am still GAINING!!! This morning, I was up to 200.25 (I got down to 196 the first week).

I am so scared; I am afraid the program will not work for me and that I will keep on gaining. Please tell me it isn't so.

Have any of you experienced this? Am I doomed? I have also been tracking my calories for the past few days--I have a tendency to not eat enough calories. The idea of eating 10-12 x my body weight frightens me, but I made myself eat 2100 cals. yesterday and 1,800 the day before. I am at my wits end. My friend told me this may be my set weight...a 5'4" - 200 lb. woman? I DON'T THINK SO!

I have two more things I want to discuss: Do you count just the "digestible carbs" Atkins talks about in his 2002 edition? Richards talks about only counting digestible carbs in her book, too.

And, do you think Carb Solution bars really only have 2 carbs? I started eating those this week. I bring one to work with me to have for breakfast.

Sorry I have written such a long thread...I hope someone can give me some hope. If you have been in the same shoes I am in, and can offer some suggestions, please respond.

Thank you.

Barb
Sponsored Links