Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 20:18

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default The Fat Panic

Has this ever happened to you?

You've been succesfully lowcarbing. Maybe for a week, maybe for months, or even years. You KNOW in your mind and heart that this works, you understand the details of it, all the WHYs of how it works and how to eat low carb like a pro.

Then Fat Panic strikes. Out of the blue.

It's night after dinner (a normal low carb meal) and you just want to snack. You're fine, and in control and continue to be right through your lucious totally legal low carb snack whatever it is.
You finish. You feel full (because it had fat in it, maybe some, maybe tons) and then it hits:

Fat Panic!

Now you KNOW that the fat you eat won't make you fat, but your emotional memory takes over and suddenly you think,

"Oh God, how can this possibly work (keep working)...it's just too good to be true, I can't believe I just ATE that! God it had SO much fat in it too - oh I can just feel myself getting bigger - but WAIT - I've been lowcarbing for months/years and I've done nothing but LOSE eating this way (outside of a few stalls...) so I shouldn't STILL feel BAD for eating that! I won't! I just won't! But gosh, what if I'm not really thinner, I'm just fooling myself (for people who don't weigh) or you think - gosh I just ate that fat and now I'm going to WHAT - go to BED in a few hours?? That just can't be good for my weightloss! Then the dreaded...

...I wonder how many calories were in it?

Once you get HERE, you're doomed for the night. UGh. You relive and rethink old highcarb/lowfat eating thoughts and dread the morning...

Strange and frustrating, you keep wondering WHY your brain is punishing you like this?

The Fat Panic : When you eat low carb and then your brain strikes back and acts like it doesn't know the TRUTH anymore about carbs! It pours guilt on you! It scares you!

...and it never fails. The next day - I still slip into my "goal" jeans...and feel confident about low carbing all over again.
------------
Maybe it does't happen to you quite this way.
Maybe you just get a split second of WWHOOSH back into the "This is too good to be true/low carb is a lie" thoughts of long ago. And then it's gone...and you finish that legal cheesecake piece and all is well with the world.

It's hard to describe, but kind of happens when you eat fat and think (for some reason), "I'm gonna pay for that"...and then - you think - no, I'm low carbing it's okay...and then you think, no - no way - do you KNOW how many FAT GRAMS you just ate??? Impossible. And then you think again, no, it's okay I'm lowcarbing NOW, NOW is not then - and besides I've lost weight on lowcarb/alot of weight ---- but then the Fat Panic tries to scare you again.

--------Look, I know I'm not nuts, everyone has a history of dieting and no matter how well you low carb a part of that follows you and confronts you inspite of all your new eating habits...almost like there's a pull to abandon for fear it's really too good to be true!

I'm sure someone besides me has eaten IT and had a FAT PANIC...only to wake the next day weighing even LESS.

Anyone willing to confess to the feelings of Fat Panic? I welcome anyone's comment (just don't call me NUTS- I don' t eat nuts!)
Nsmith4366
Sponsored Links