Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 13:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/214/210 Male 72inches
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Why don't people test for blood sugar?

After a long LC absence, and getting back into it, it seems like negotiating a minefield with all the new stuff out there. Wonderment and debates about what is LC and what is fluff or BS.

I've seen some posts regarding specific foods, which were deemed as "probably okay" because someone's friend who is a diabetic tested their blood sugar after eating product A, and had a minimal rise in blood glucose, and this was taken as some evidence of the minimal impact on our LC diets.

So, my questions are:

1. Would blood suguar measurements be a good definitive quick way to rule out foods for an individual? That is to say, a lot of people do fine on Dreamfields pasta, or Atkins bars and Ice Cream, but some don't. Can I eat it, test blood sugar, and if I have a minimal rise determine it is then fine for me?

2. If yes, then why doesn't anyone test themselves? Expense? The testers can be had for $20, and while the strips are expensive at about .50 a piece, I imagine a box of 50 could get you results on any food you had questions about. For less than $50 you could get a lot of questions answered quickly, instead of waiting days to see if you stalled.

3. Was this a stupid question?
Sponsored Links