Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 16:30

Plan: CALP vegetarian plus fish
Stats: 140/138/132 Female 66 inches
BF:26%/25%/20%
Progress: 25%
Default I'm doing veggie low carb on very tight budget!

Hi, just wanted to say how I'm doing this on an extremely tight budget. Last summer I joined this forum while trying Atkins--well, I flunked out of Atkins big-time after 3 days. After that I got back into the high-carb rut for a few months, but over the last few months my eating habits have suddenly changed for the better. I don't know exactly what happened to me, I'm just finding myself craving healthy fruits and vegetables instead of junk food. I just don't seem to have much of a taste for candy, cake, cokes, or anything like that anymore. I guess one thing that happened was, I went on a trip to the interior of Mexico (San Miguel de Allende, in the hills north of Mexico City) in March, and ate the healthiest I've eaten anywhere anytime in my life (and the cheapest too!) Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. I live in South Texas, and I've been craving those things since I got back from Mexico (like papaya and mangos).

I haven't been losing weight lately because I haven't been trying to, but now my goal is to lose 6 pounds in 30 days, before I go on a trip at the end of June. I want to get back down to 137 ASAP (now I weigh 144). The real reason though is, I was having hypoglycemia symptoms in the past year, and I just don't feel good when I eat unhealthy.

I seem to need some carbs because my job involves lots of physical labor--I've been trying to eat really high-fiber complex carbs though. I eat no meat now but I do eat eggs cheese and fish. I have to eat CHEAP and FAST. My new "diet" involves mostly the same things every day. I wanted to bounce it off you all and see what you think!

Breakfast--2 eggs with cheese(from my own chickens--free!)
couple pieces whole wheat toast
a few tortilla chips
a cup of coffee
a big glass of ice water

Lunch-- a can of sardines or herring (good for calcium)
a large container of mixed fresh fruit
sesame sticks
a big glass of ice water

Snack-- handful of kumquats
handul of baby carrots
(I have become addicted to kumquats and baby carrots. Eat the kumquats first--they're
really sweet/really sour at the same time!
Eat the baby carrots next, because they
taste sweeter after he sour kumquats. This is a real experience, try it! According to the label, 4 ounces of kumquats, more than a handful, have only 9.5 grams net carbs, and I can' eat that many anyway!)

Supper-- one or two soy "meat patties"--various brands
sometimes an egg or two (I have lots of eggs)
big leafy salad

If I need a night snack it's a half cup of Kashi "Good Friends" cereal (has an amazing amount of fiber in it and it's really good) with a tad of milk.

I just started this recently. So far this is keeping me satisfied and I'm not craving anything. I just wanted to share this with you, and see what you think! Any add-on suggestions?

Last edited by adelante : Thu, May-27-04 at 16:34. Reason: add on
Sponsored Links