Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 08:04

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%
Default Hypothesis: why your weight loss slows after induction

After Induction what happens.
It is quite normal for the body to "catch" itself. You just lost a bunch of weight in a short time(2 week induction). Your body says "Whoa I'm losing weight rapidly, I am programed to survive lean times, at this rate of losing I'll be wasted away to nothing in no time, slow down weight loss, apply the brakes" (survival mode)

What you need to do now. Keep daily calories 10-15% under your adjusted BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) If you cut more that 15% your body goes into survival mode again and slow down your metabolism and weight loss.

Eat 5-6 small meals a day. Eating often keeps blood sugar levels even and
prevents cravings. Eating often also fires up meatbolism.

Eat a macro nutrient diet around 65% Fat 35% protein and 5% carbs or <20g.
Remember, when you cut carbs your source of "energy is fat".

Fat recomondations, Extra virgin olive oil, Canola oil, Butter, Virgin coconut oil and Flax oil supplements. Minimize saturated fats. NO, NONE, NADA, ZERO, ZIP Hydroginated fats. Hydroginated fats are not readily digestable by the body due to un-natural fat chain lenghts. Our body doesn't know how to deal with them and they end up in your arteries!

Drink a gallon of water a day, plus a quart for every 25 pounds you are overweight. That helps flush out ketones.

Avoid Polyols; (sugar alcohols) low carb bars and candy.
Labels that read "only 2 NET carbs= warning "
See this article.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182859

Exercise! Exercise builds muscle and maintaining muscle burns more fat.

At that rate you will lose 1+ pounds a week and keep your body from thinking it is starving (from too low of calories)
Here is a BMR calculator.
http://www.ecybex.com/education/cal...s/bmr_calc.html
These thoughts are what has worked for Me and they are only MY opinion.

Jag

Last edited by jagbender : Sun, May-23-04 at 09:22.
Sponsored Links