Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 15:50

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%
Default Are fat people treated unequally/unfairly? All Opinions welcome.

I've just returned from a long and intense diversity conference. At one point, we were asked to present topics to be addressed by people in other groups. I indicated that I feel that I am treated unfairly as an obese woman.

The group that chose to pick up my topic was the "people of color" group. They belittled the very idea that fat people are subject to being treated unfairly. The comments that I got back were along the line of "you've got to be kidding!" One member of the group told me that they had a great time laughing at the suggested topic. The observation that fat people are treated unfairly was dismissed as a non-issue.

I tried discussing this with two members of that group separately. I pointed out that fat jokes are perfectly acceptable on TV while jokes about race are politically incorrect. I told them that I've read about a study that showed that fat women earn 26% less than the average earnings for all women in the same job category. One of the men just shrugged it off and wouldn't discuss it further. The other man insists that he has never heard of fat people being mistreated and that he has never seen it. He acknowledges that gorgeous women are treated better than average, but thinks that all women who are not visually stunning are all lumped together as average and are regarded equally. Later that evening, I caught him telling a fat joke to another colleague. I didn't have the energy to pursue it.

Have I lost my mind? I am 41, obese and I think I have been judged harshly for my appearance and ridiculed for a lifetime. Is it just not-as-bad-as-having-ancestors-who-were-slaves and therefore an invalid complaint? I am baffled.

What worries me most is that one of the women who was reportedly belittling my topic is the diversity coordinator for the entire company (a Fortune 500 company). I'd like to take this up with her one-on-one but first I'd like to hear some other perspectives and arm myself with statistics.

Please tell me your honest opinions. I'm not just looking for backup. I'd like to hear a range of perspectives.
Sponsored Links