Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 09:35
WannaHaveFun

Plan: protvegfatprotvegfatprotv
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 64%
Thumbs up The Passionate Cook: The very best of Karen Barnaby

We're all looking forward to the publication of Karen's The Low-carb Gourmet by Rodale this fall, but let's not forget that her latest cookbook was launched just a few weeks ago. The Passionate Cook isn't low-carb per se, but it does have many low-carb recipes (especially the fish, meat and vegetable sections) and others that could be easily modified. On this thread, people can post their experiences with the recipes, including carb counts and LC modifications. Should be fun!

Here's a tantalizing sample recipe from the publisher's website (Whitecap Books): Tea-Scented Fresh Goat Cheese . A great, naturally LC recipe. Those of us in BC can use Saltspring's wonderful chevres and, of course, fabulous teas from T Tearoom or Silk Road in Victoria. Cooks from other places will have their own sources of delicious, natural foods like these. Karen suggests you can do the same thing using coarsely ground coffee beans instead of tea. Never would've thought of that!

It's a beautiful book and one that embodies Karen's creative and philosophical approach to food, using fresh and local ingredients and incorporating techniques and tastes from around the world. I highly recommend it! So far I've just been reading it (something I tend to do more often than actually cook ) -- but it does make for great reading, and I'm sure it inspires my day-to-day cooking and also gets me thinking about the next dinner party.

I for one would love to try that Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce but can't figure out how to make a syrup with Splenda. Karen suggests adding xanthan gum to thicken it so I'm looking forward to trying that.

Last edited by sunpines : Fri, May-14-04 at 09:47.
Sponsored Links