Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What thyroid med are you on and are you losing weight?
Synthroid - YES it is helping 60 23.44%
Shythroid - NO It isn't helping 70 27.34%
Armour - YES it is helping 28 10.94%
Armour - NO It isn't helping 10 3.91%
Levoxyl - YES it is helping 22 8.59%
Levoxyl - NO It isn't helping 29 11.33%
Cytomel - YES it is helping 11 4.30%
Cytomel - NO it isn't helping 4 1.56%
OTHER kind of NATURAL med that IS working (specify plz) 6 2.34%
OTHER Kind of NATURAL that isn't working 1 0.39%
Or just other that IS working (Specify please) 11 4.30%
Other that isn't working.. 4 1.56%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 11:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greycita
First of all, I would like to express how awful this Grave's disease issue has been for me. I feel like I'm too young to have my thyroid gland taken away and then to have to take a synthetic pill for the rest of my life just adds more stress to the whole situation. Oh, and did I mention I don't have health insurance? Anyway, after I got the radioactive Iodine treatment I loved the fact that I could eat whatever I wanted. Then I started becoming more aware of my health and started eating better and now I'm going to the gym about 6 times a week. I started gaining about a pound a day when I realized I better go see the doctor. He prescribed Levoxyl and I just want to know, when the heck am I going to shed this excess fat.....when I am going to start losing weight. I am only ten pounds overweight, but I'm going to the gym and eating healthy, can somebody out there tell me what's going to happen to me and when I are my clothes going to fit again? Please. I don't like this big butt I've inherited from Grave's disease. Thanks in advice for anyone who will write back. My e-mail address is ggmoya~aol.com

I had Graves too, I was in my 20's I think. Unlike you, I actually gained weight while I was hyperthyroid! I do have to say, taking the medication is no big deal, it becomes a part of your life.

While my body was draining of excess thyroid my metabolism slowed way, way down. I was on a 1200 a day calorie diet and could not lose weight, even with lots of exercise. But after I started on hormone it began to budge.

Take it a day at a time. Remember that some of your anxiety might actually be caused by too much thyroid hormone. My personality change a LOT after I got the Graves disease treated. It makes me think, even to this day, that perhaps a lot of our personality is the result of the hormonal cocktail running through our veins.