Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 11:19
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Hey Jag, sorry didn't call ya' the other day, but just started new job and with that and the kids, was busy as heck.

As I stated, right before the depletion workout is the ONLY time I ever eat high GI carbs because I WANT to fill liver glycogen and get out of ketosis to deplete MUSCLE glycogen as much as possible during the workout.

You can figure out the change in schedule days for you, but what I do is depletion workout Fri. a little before noon and carb load from lunch Fri. to bedtime Sat. night. No kind of workout Sat., then usually 1 to 1 1/2 hour slow to mod. cardio Sun. morning. I usually just walk fast around my neighborhood, but when I do mod. cardio at club, I do like 3.7mph or so on a treadmill, or something comparible on any other machine. Haven't been able to jog much since starting health kick over at this age, legs just don't take it like when I was younger. Anyway, everywhere you read mostly agrees running hurts joints and such in the long run and slower moderate cardio better in LONG RUN. I do HIIT, but do it on a type of stairclimber which puts much less stress on my knees and shins. Well, kinda went of on a tangent there, huh, LOL.

Anyway, if I can (when wife is not working) I will do another 45min to an hour mod. cardio Sun. evening. Then either cardio very early Mon. morning and weights Mon. noon. or just weights Mon. morning, depending what I have to do Mondays. So, for me, long slow cardio, as much as possible...I don't think it affects my weight workout 'cause the slow cardio doesn't really use up muscle glycogen....and eating a little higher fat, a little lower protein, and almost no carbs Sun. except mostly lettuce salad with meals, and I'm back in ketosis by Mon. or Tue. early am latest.

After you've been on CKD a little while, you usually start shifting back into ketosis quicker, I guess your body just get used to switching from one fuel to another. I've had trouble also, with reading on keto sticks. it's very hard to tell when there are trace ketones and sometimes you are burning most of them so they don't "spill over" into your urine. I finally stopped using them and, let me tell ya', it really doesn't matter all that much as long as you are following the diet correctly!

You're doing great Jag, keep it up