Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 09:23

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%
Default Negative feedback from my gym re: BFL

Hi all - I am in my 10th week of my 1st BFL challenge. I started it after 3 very unsatisfying months of working out hard 5 times a week - I had only lost 8 pounds and my body fat percentage was only down 2%. I had some inches loss, but overall I think was doing things wrong - starting every workout with 30 min. of cardio, then going from machine to machine - lower body one day, upper body the next, but I was bone tired and sore all the time. I had a 12 week re-test as part of my gym membership - we get retested every 12 weeks - and the trainer told me I need to work out 2 hours a day and that I should buy some personal training sessions. Although I realized that their job is to sell the personal training I was really upset - after all that hard work, their answer was to work harder.

That's when I found BFL and realized it was exactly what I needed. I booked one personal training session so that I could have someone show me the proper way to use the free weights for BFL, rather than machines. That's when I realized that my gym doesn't approve of BFL - the trainer told me I needed to do high reps at a lighter weight to tone rather than build muscle, then she gave me examples of people she knows that did BFL and barely lost any weight or body fat - that the program is meant for men. I have disagreed with her and love BFL but...I'm feeling a little discouraged right now.

My weight has hovered between 200-205, and I was 210 when I started. I know I've lost inches, but I have a retest coming up on May 9 - the day after I finish my challenge - what if my body fat hasn't come down more than 1 or 2 percent again? I really feel like my body is changing but I sense so much negativity - the trainer came up to me yesterday and said, "When are you finished this thing?" and then asked if I had booked my retest yet. She then said, remember how upset you were last time - oh well, you say you can see results this time...And when she asked how I was doing a couple of weeks ago, I said I had lost just a few pounds but more inches and she said "I told you so" - she said I should be melting because I still have so much weight to lose. Yet, other women at the gym have commented that I look like I'm really losing weight.

Has anyone else come across this negative view of BFL? If so, how do you handle it? I am trying to stay positive but when I step on the scales and see a 5 pound gain, it's a little frustrating...
Sponsored Links