Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Does atkins make you aggressive?
Yes 10 11.36%
No 78 88.64%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 10:38

Plan: LCarb
Stats: 200/173/124 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Throwing a cat amongst the pigeons!

Recently I have been feeling quite aggressive since going on atkins. After some research on the internet I found the following journal which studied the effect of high protein diets on dogs. Ok. Humans are not dogs, but 90% of professional biopsychological research is carried out in nonhuman animals (primates, canines, etc) before being transferred to humans. Maybe the following article may shed some light on anyone's symptoms of aggression?

"Many authors have suggested that high protein rations may have a role to play in aggressive behaviour in dogs but only a few scientific studies have been performed to demonstrate the benefits of low protein diets.

Why should dietary protein affect aggressive behaviour ?

It is known that some amino acid concentrations in the brain (eg tryptophan) can affect behaviour and cause aggression . Amino acids are the primary chemical units that are linked together to form proteins and many are essential nutrients that must be supplied by the diet. Altering the type and amount of protein intake can increase or decrease specific amino acid availability.

It is known that high ammonia concentrations in the blood can affect the brain and cause aggression. Ammonia is a nitrogen-containing breakdown product following protein metabolism, and its blood concentrations increase in some forms of disease eg liver disease and a vascular abnormality called a portocaval shunt

In conclusion, there is a definite correlation between high protien diets and aggression; and this should be taken into account when reviewing human and nonhuman dietry requirements."

Now, I'm not an atkins hater, as you may be thinking, but I really do want to do it and stick to it. But the aggression has been causing too many problems with my social life and I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light whether they have been experiencing it too!

Alena
P.S sounds like we should put our pets on a veggie diet, and they will become calmer!
Sponsored Links