Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 17:44

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:
Default Okay, how sore should I NOT be?

Hi all,

After a several month-long hiatus from any conscious or intentional exercise (I know, I know), I've been getting back into it the last couple of weeks.

Some background info: I am normally VERY sore when I first begin a weight program (I go pretty hard, even to start). For 3-4 days after a workout. Then, after the first few workouts, I barely hurt at all following even a very challenging workout. So I know this pain is gonna pass, and I won't have any more problems by next week. Not a problem.

My question is this: after my first Pilates workout in MONTHS, using the same challenging format as I was before I stopped working out, my quads and glutes are a tad sore (not a whole lot, but it's noticable when I flex), and I'm scheduled for a lower body workout tonight. Should I skip it?

Normally I would probably just skip it, but that's what got me into this wretched shape in the first place. Mostly, I just want to get myself in the habit of working out as opposed to sitting on my rapidly expanding posterior.

I guess I could do most of the workout and just avoid doing exercises that hurt, but usually once I've started a workout the adrenaline gets in the way of pain, so I'm not sure how much pain I'd feel. It isn't much to begin with.

See, I'm justifying the workout because the soreness in my legs and butt is probably just from lactic acid and unaccustomed usage, rather than actual damage. The abs, on the other hand, are screaming at me, so I know they're hurting from damage as well.

Am I just being stupid? Should I take it easy? Any thoughts?

BTW, it may be too late by the time anyone replies (the workout is scheduled for 8pm), but I'd love input for future use, at least. Right now I'm leaning toward a modified workout. My calves and hams seem fine. I'll check back later, though.

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or suggestions!

Last edited by Alopex : Sun, Feb-08-04 at 17:51.
Sponsored Links