Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 09:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Very frustrated with inaccurate carb counts and inaccurate measurements

I have been trying so hard to measure and be exact since it has produced great results. I had previously stalled for 4 months because I was not measuring and I was eyeballing and found out the hard way that I was eating way too many calories and approx 50+ carbs a day. Since I started measuring foods, counting carbs and counting calories I began loosing again at a steady pace.

But I am getting very tired of the inaccuracies on the carb counts and measurements. There are a lot of inconsistencies between DANDR and the pocket Atkins Carb Gram Counter.

For example: Portobello mushrooms. DANDR says 1/2 cup is 1.4 carbs, 1.0 net carbs. The pocket book says 4 oz has 4.1 net carbs. Just to find out the difference in amounts, I weighed 4 oz and transferred to a measuring cup and.... you guessed it! It was 1/2 cup. So is it 1.0 net carbs or 4.1 net carbs for just 1/2 of portobello mushrooms?

This morning I measured 2/3 cup of Morning Start cereal. The serving size is 2/3 cup or 30g. I put cereal in a 1/3 cup two times. The cup full, not overflowing, not heaping. I transferred that to the scale (digital, supposed to be accurate) and it was way over 46 g. I took off cereal until the scale read 30 g and transferred back to the serving cup. It came up to 1/2 of the 1/3 cup size two times.

I know I'm being too technical and should lighten up a little bit... a gram here or there is not going to make it to my thighs. I guess I'm just frustrated and wanted to vent.
Sponsored Links