Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 10:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Exercise ambivalence

In light of the current threads about "prejudice" or assumptions on the forum about thin(ner) people, I have been examining some of my own feelings about exercise. I've been an on-and-off exerciser since the 70s. I remember when jogging and jazzercise were among the dominant forms of popular physical activity, and I participated in them. I also went to an exercise class in the early 80s that met once a week--and people felt like they were getting some benefit. In more recent years I've learned to do some weight lifting and become acquainted with the various cardio machines. So I've had lots of opportunity to observe people exercising.

There are always some who are very thin and fit looking, who seem to be at the gym whenever I go, who are there first and stay longer than I do. Sometimes they clearly have a social life at the gym and are not working out every second. But I have to fight back an urge to think that they are devoting too much of their time to exercise. I'm not sure what is behind this prejudice, if it is a prejudice. Does it go back to not being good at sports as a kid, and so convincing myself that being smart and intellectual is superior? Do I think these people should be reading a book? Do I feel anxious because my exercise doesn't seem to get the same results as theirs?

Connected to that last point, I've wondered if there are some people for whom exercise is very effective in acheiving weight loss and or fitness, whereas it is not for others. Someone above mentioned that by running 5 miles a day he stays thin. I have spent prodigious effort at the gym and found that it affected my weight loss very little (I do realize there are other reasons to exercise). As a result I don't revere and depend on exercise the way some people do--as perhaps may be right for them.

Does anyone else share my feelings of ambivalence about exercise as a tool for weight loss? Does anyone ever feel guilty about the time they devote to exercise? (I know plenty of people feel guilt about not exercising!) Has anyone felt the need (or been advised) to cut back on exercise?
Sponsored Links