Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 20:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Here comes the grapefruit... again!

This happened in my town with a fat-doctor I'm familiar with because he does all kinds of studies on fat related things. I unfortunately got turned down for a study a few years back, I wasn't just not quite fat enough... I think he's pretty well respected.

Link: http://www.thesandiegochannel.com/h...438/detail.html

Study: Grapefruit Diet No Fad, Promotes Weight Loss
Grapefruit Regulates Insulin, Lowers Cholesterol

POSTED: 1:22 PM PST January 21, 2004
UPDATED: 3:02 PM PST January 21, 2004

SAN DIEGO -- The grapefruit diet, which gained popularity in the '70s and then faded, is back.

Now, for the first time, there is scientific evidence that confirms grapefruit can promote weight loss.

For decades, the grapefruit has been a staple for dieters. The fruit has a powerful effect on the liver and the body. But, until now, researchers did not know if it could really help with weight loss.

Scripps Nutritional researcher Ken Fujioka headed a study to find out whether grapefruit really possesses weight loss properties.

"We did not expect to see this kind of weight loss, in all honesty," Fujioka said.

Researchers believe there is a compound in grapefruit that interacts with the liver to lower cholesterol and helps regulate insulin. Too much insulin can cause weight gain.

"The fresh grapefruit actually lowered their insulin," Fujioka said.

The 12-week study found that people who ate fresh grapefruit or drank grapefruit juice lost weight without changing their diet.

"We took a group of people who had a half of a grapefruit three times a day before each meal. And, much to our surprise, without really altering their diet, they lost 3˝ pounds or a pound a week without really doing anything else," Fujioka said.

Researchers said the weight loss has something to do with the grapefruit membrane.

"It may be that the membrane has something that will give you a feeling of fullness or it has separate effect in helping with weight loss. We are not really sure," Fujioka said.

But even those who drank grapefruit juice lost weight.

Now, researchers want to see if this potent fruit will help people with metabolic disorders lose weight.

Grapefruit can cause problems with certain medications, so be sure to check with your doctor before starting this diet.

The study included 100 San Diego participants and was funded by a research grant from the state of Florida.

A larger study is planned for the next year.
Sponsored Links