Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default I believe in the carbohydrate conspiracy.

Not to sound like a nutjob sporting a tin foil beanie, but I strongly feel there is a quiet corporate conspiracy to keep the low carb revolution suppressed.

The government and health orgs (like the AHA) are irrationally closed minded to the possibility that, in absence of excessive carbohydrate, natural fats pose no health risk at all. This despite LC pioneers like Robert Atkins presenting evidence from his private practice to the contrary. Ask yourself: why?

We are constantly fed propaganda about the "struggling" refined carbohydrate industry. "Poor bread maker goes out of business: atkins drives down profits" the headline will boldly state. Were we ever told to shed a tear for the dairy farmers when LF came into fashion? If anything, media painted a negative association between emotions and high fat food manufacturers. Why is this?

When Atkins is discussed in mainstream press venues, it seems that most of the focus is not on the beneficial properties of the diet (that it painlessly allows you to lose weight by naturally regulating appetite, that many many people experience marked health increase), but the focus is instead on how "restrictive" it is (can't guzzle sugars anymore) or how high the fat content is (and we ALL know fat will kill you *sarcasm*.)

I mean sure there are new low carb products popping up here and there, made by a few enterprising companies. But in general, the establishment attitude towards low carb is that it is a "fad", it is "unhealthy", it is "unsafe", and it is "unpleasant". The truth is the exact opposite, not only is it more healthy, safe, and pleasant than the way the average american eats, but traditionally recommended diets as well. Oh, and low carb is far from a fad. Fads are something that come into fashion because everyone is doing it, but then they quickly go out of fashion when people realize they have been duped. The difference between a fad and a revolution, is that the revolution actually has some substance behind its momentum. The fact is LC diets are the way nature intended us to eat, science had it all wrong primarily blaming fats instead of sugars for our health ills, and more importantly: it works.

I do believe there is a quiet conspiracy among the food and drug companies and their bought politicians to keep the revolution suppressed. They worked so hard to bring high sugar into fashion, they aren't about to let that future extra profit potential go out the window now. Fact of the matter is, sugar is a) cheap, and b) stimulates appetite. Both of these equal increased profits for processed food companies. The pharmaceutical companies have vested interest in keeping low carb suppressed, as they deal in disease treatment. They are not in the business of disease prevention (unless it can be "prevented" via a bought pill), or disease cures. High sugar diets ensure a steady flux of patients with heart disease and diabetes who need help "controlling" their diseases with all manner of meds.

No, I don't think it is some big x-files area 51 type deal, but I do think somewhere, sometime, there is/was talk of how low carb is going to affect their profit margins, and they came to the conclusion that it needs to be suppressed. That is why you have corporate propaganda disseminated from a biased media (media is dependent on advertisement revenue). All our societal organizations are also dependent on corporate revenue, such as the USDA (department of agriculture has an OBVIOUS vested interest in the suppression of low carb).

Because there is just too much money wrapped up in keeping the high carb train going full speed, I don't think living a low carb lifestyle will ever be as convenient as living a low fat lifestyle. I don't think it will ever be accepted with open arms as the diet of preference by the establishment, because of this... the carbohydrate conspiracy.

Last edited by ItsTheWooo : Mon, Dec-08-03 at 14:40.
Sponsored Links