Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 23:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default The grave reality for severely overweight people...

Late turkey night musings....

One of the things I have had struck home to me is that the difference between self-destructive behaviors and the way those of us who commit them are treated is the difference between being something and doing something.

Let me explain that. Smoking kills 400,000 people a year in the U.S. alone. Obesity death estimates vary (I heard 300,000 on television the other night), but it contributes to a host of ilnesses that kill or reduce quality of life, from cancer to diabetes. We all understand the stakes in the battle we're fighting.

However, it's arguable as to whether our self destructive behavior is any more costly than a self destructive behavior like smoking. I'm sure it's comparable, to be honest.

But the difference in the way a smoker is treated in the job market and the way an obese person is treated has to be huge.

It could be argued that smart employers should hire the thin person, given the choice between relative equals. After all, that thin guy might develop a heart condition, but the odds are greater that the fat guy will be sick more often, die younger, cost the company plan more health insurance dollars, drive premiums up, and be less attractive when you bring outsiders into the company. Of course, many of these arguments can be made against smokers or heavy drinkers or drug users.

The big difference? At a glance a smoker can't be identified as a smoker. Thus it's something he does. He smokes. A fat person is defined first and foremost by that. It's not something he does, it's something he is.

The smart employer, not able to see a smoker as a smoker takes a pass on the obese applicant and rolls the dice.

I don't want to validate that, but there are certain studies that tend to: for instance, a Rand Study on Obesity states "Obese individuals spend more on both services and medication than daily smokers and heavy drinkers. For example, obese individuals spend approximately 36 percent more than the general baseline population on health services, compared with a 21 percent increase for daily smokers and a 14 percent increase for heavy drinkers. Obese individuals spend 77 percent more on medications. Only aging has a greater effect--and only on expenditures for medications."

(Click here to see the Rand Study abstract)

A big ol' wakeup call for all of us. We can't expect an entirely fair shake in this world that finds all kinds of reasons to discriminate against people based on religion, gender, race, sexual preference, etc. - but we can go out there armed with the grim, honest truth.

I've known for a long time that my skill set and abilities make me marketable, and that my weight reduces my marketability, health, and potential.

Why it took me 40 years to do something about it is a mystery I'll never quite understand.

--Scott

Last edited by kyrasdad : Fri, Nov-28-03 at 00:03.
Sponsored Links