Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 23:37

Plan: SCD
Stats: 165/165/175 Male 6'
BF:
Progress:
Default Candida/IBS/Bacterial Overgrowth-Need Advice!

Hi all!

I'm new to this group and need some help.

I've had bloating, nausea, weight loss, confusion, dizzy spells, extreme fatigue, heart arrythmias, episodes of tacchycardia & chest pain (quick substernal spasms), slow heart rate, poor circulation in extremities, hypoglycemic spells and panic attacks, sore parotid glands, sore nodules in neck, flushing, paleness, poor exercise tolerance, squeezing spasms in head, chills, tinnitus, depression (understandably!), anxiety, numbness and tingling in hands and legs for the past 2 + years. I've been in and out of the hospital many times and seen dozens of doctors. I've endured an angiogram (negative), 2 endoscopys (neg.), colonoscopy (neg), multiple scopes, MRI's, CT scans, Bone Marrow aspiration, hundreds of blood tests and other stomach tests, most negative. An MRI of the brain showed mild demyelination and some white matter, but nothing specific.

The only abnormalities so far are:

Mildly low white cells and platelets. Sometimes low Hemoglobin and hemocrit, and red. Platelets indicate ITP.

Positive ANA (1:80/Speckled) indicating an auto-immune disorder.

Hydrogen breath test showed bacterial overgrowth of small intestine. (Treated with 10 day course of Neomycin). Still have some bloating, gas, and episodes of Nausea.

Docs will do a Capsule Endoscopy next week to make sure no Crohns was overlooked (I swallow a pill w/camera inside that takes pictures all the way through the intestinal track).

Docs suspect the overgrowth is still there and also suspect an auto-immune or connective tissue disorder. They want to treat me with Plaquenil. I don't like drugs!

My main complaints now are: Periods of fatigue and general ill feeling. Weightloss/Inablility to gain weight. Poor exercise tolerance (used to run 3 miles a day. Now can't walk a mile without getting fatigued afterward. No shortness of breath, just feel pooped!). Episodes of nausea, bloating, gas and lower abdominal pain (food feels like glass going through my intestines).

Cancer & Heart Disease have been ruled out.

I am 37 yr old male. 6'. 165pnds. Eat organic diet, but have not tried SCD diet (Elaine Gottschalls book) yet. I am buying the book tommorrow.

I've tried Primal Defense, but the docs think I should avoid Probiotics because of the overgrowth.

I'm beginning to think this is a severe case of Candida as my glands get sore when I drink alcohol (especially beer, wine) and I feel drunk after 1 drink! My candida test from great smokies was low positive about a year ago and I guess i should test again.

I thought this was simply bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, but now that it's systemic (auto-immune) I think it's candida. Unfortunately my Docs don't believe the Candida story so I have to seek out another naturopathic Dr.

Does anyone know anyone in the LA area who specializes in Candida & Gut problems?

I'm really hurting and would love to hear from anyone who can help.

Thanks,

Chris (A native NY'er living in LA)
Sponsored Links