Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 16:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Queensland travel info, as requested by Goodnfast

Quote:
We live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and will be travelling to OZ in March - a trip of lifetime for our family. My husband and I have been low carbing since April ... he's lost 35 pounds (with the occasional cheat) while it's been much slower for me (the old bod is clearly saying we've been here before and we're going to wait you out... but... I'm not listening and I'm going to win this one!!!).
I was hoping you might be able to provide some advice for our travel plans because we will be in the Brisbane area during our trip... we have a 10 year old son who is a Steve Irvwin fan and we must, therefore, visit his zoo. The questions I have are the following:
. after visiting Sydney(3-4 days), we want to visit the Australia Zoo, and then Fraser Island (and then on to Lindeman Island for 5-6 days, then Port Douglas (for 3-4 days) and back again to Sydney). I know the distances between cities/locations are quite vast in OZ (after all, we are Cdns!), and we plan to fly between locations, but we are wondering if it would be better to fly into Brisbane or the Sunshine Coast airport given the places we want to visit in this area (i.e., Zoo and Fraser Island)
. where might be a good place to stay for visiting the Zoo (depending on whether we should fly into Brisbane or the Sunshine Coast) (we are prepared to pay for comfortable family friendly accomodations... we are not interested in so-called "budget accomodation"-- been there, done that... you get what you pay for!!!)?
. is there anything you would classify as a "must see" in the Brisbane area other than the zoo?
. when visiting Fraser Island, is it better to stay on the mainland and commute to the Island or to stay on the Island itself?; and is one day enough to see everything (from a ten-year old nature-lover's perspective) or should we stay for two days?
. is there any other advice you might want to give to some Cdns regarding your wonderful country (keeping mind that because of time constraints, we are limited to 2 and 1/2 weeks and can only visit the eastern coast)?

I'm wondering if any other Queenslanders would have suggestions for Goodnfast about her trip?

I personally have never been to Fraser Island, so can't really comment if you should stay for 1 or 2 days. I do know that you can have day trips from Hervey Bay to visit Fraser - perhaps someone else would know how much there is to see?

There's probably nothing "must see" in Brisbane, especially from a 10-year-old's point of view. It's a pretty nice place to live, and I'd love to show it off to you, but it kinda pales when compared with the Barrier Reef.

So I would probably fly to the Sunshine Coast rather than Brisbane for the Steve Irwin Zoo visit. The Sunshine Coast airport is at Maroochydore, which is about ½ hour by car from the Zoo.

Are you planning to hire cars, or use buses/coaches? I would imagine that any travel agent worth his or her salt would be able to organize that for you from your end.

You'll find more info here: http://www.queensland-holidays.com.au/

I hope that helps.

Roz
Sponsored Links